ARGGGH, "Failed to write to the sector 71,055,494...."

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DoctorT, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorT

DoctorT Registered Member

I'm trying to restore an image on to the HP AMD DL385 server with serial SCSI controller and serial scsi hard drive, and I keep on getting "failed to write to the sector 71,055,494 of the hard disk 1." What's the deal. I'm getting frustrated.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi DoctorT,

Could be a bad sector on the hard drive concerned. Open the command prompt and enter the command chkdsk x: /r on each partition in turn (replace x with the letter of the partition being checked). The system will need to reboot in order to check the System partition.

Regards

3. DoctorT

The drives and server are brand new. Bad sector? How can that be?

4. DoctorT

I also verified the image, and there was no problem. What am I missing?
    I tried to restored the image on a regular HP workstation with SATA HD, and it worked fine.

I'm lost now..

5. Menorcaman

Hi again DoctorT,

The integrity of the image isn't in question. The fact that your hardware is brand new doesn't entirely remove the possibility of a bad sector on the hard drive. So the recommendation to run chkdsk x: /r still stands.

Regards

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Menorcaman, you must have used the wrong member name, I'm not participating in this thread. No problem for me LOL.

7. DoctorT

I will give a shot... =(

8. Menorcaman

Oops! Sorry ErikAlbert :oops:. I've amended my post accordingly :p.

Regards

9. DoctorT

I already tried chkdsk x: /r, it didn't work.

10. Menorcaman

Please clarify. Do you mean you ran chkdsk C: /r, chkdsk D: /r, etc on each of the partitions and found no problems?

Regards

11. DoctorT

Yes. I ran
    chkdsk c: /r, chkdsk d: /r and chkdsk e: /r; found no problems...
    now I'm lost. I spent a lot of $ in this software for doing nothing but except wasting my time. I already tried the latest build. I guess I have to submitt a ticket to Acronis.

12. HenkelD

HenkelD Registered Member

Just a thought....
    is this the same drive you did the backup from or is it a new one.
    If it is a new one, could it be that it is smaller than the old one and TI is trying to write a sector that does not exist on your new drive?

...like I said, just a thought...

13. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You have three partitons on the drive: C, D and E.

1. Was the backup image made from the same drive you are restoring to?

2. What partition(s) are in the backup image?

3. What partition(s) are you trying to restore?

4. Where is the image stored that you are restoring?

Sector 71,055,494 is at 33GB (36GB decimal) is the partition that you are restoring to larger than 36GB?

14. DoctorT

Hi dude.
    1) I backed up the image from one production server with Ultra3 SCSI hds and was trying to restore it on a new HP AMD server with serial SCSI HDs.

2) The image has three partitions - C:, D: and E: Each partition is only 8GB with approximately 3GB actual data.

3) The new HP AMD server has six 33GB drives, and 3 RAID 1 arrays are configured. I'm trying to restore one partition per array.

4) The image is stored on a computer that has the TI9 console installed.

I'm lost now. Each array has sufficient space to store a partition. TI doesn't look promising.

15. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

It sure sounds like an 8GB partition should be restored to a 33GB partition without any problem. Even all three 8GB partition should fit.

All I can think to suggest is to make an image of only one partition, say C, and try restoring from that image to one of the partitions on the new server. Be conservative and allow a little unallocated space on the new array just in case that's where the error arises.

The problem may be with the drivers for the Raid 1 arrays. If so, then unless Tech Support had an idea, TI might not be suitable.

16. DoctorT

Thanks for your help John. I tried to restore one partition on a regular HP workstation with SATA drive, and no problem what so ever. That led me to think it was a compatibility issue as well. Argh. Universal restore? blah.

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DoctorT,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please clarify if use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or did you use Acronis True Image in Windows? Did you use Acronis Universal Restore option?

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file. Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please also collect the log file from Acronis True Image that contains the error message. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.