Are you using IBM laptop?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    In their ads, there are stories that this laptop is tough enough to withstand some real life accidents. I am just wondering if this was really true as I have not yet own one. :rolleyes:

IBM maybe is the grand daddy of computers, and I know that this pc is good enough and have already passed the tests of time. I am planning to buy a brandnew laptop, but still I am not sure if IBM was a good choice for me.
    Laptops are still very expensive compared to desktops, and this was to be considered an investment, so a wise choice is very important. And I know that we most get the best that we can afford in order to get the highest quality and performance for many years to come. :cool:

I haven’t own a laptop yet, and I can’t decide exactly if IBM was really good. Maybe you can share us your actual good and bad experiences w this laptop.

:)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Sweater

I didn't buy an IBM, as I was looking for a desktop replacement, but I have a friend who is on her 2nd IBM. The old one lasted 5 years, and survived things like a fall from a car roof, having a bottle of water poured over the keyboard etc. At least the older ones built by IBM were tough.
    The latest ones since the change of ownership, I don't know.

Pete

3. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

Hello,

I've been using an IBM T20 ThinkPad for 5 years now and it's still working like a charm. I haven't seen one of the Lenovo's yet but the IBM's are the top regarding quality of build and also known to have the best keyboard.
    The place to be for all info regarding ThinkPads, see on http://forum.thinkpads.com/

Kind regards,

PeterVO

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

My son works for a major US company. He had an IBM laptop computer, a company owned one, and it crashed in a short time. The tech for the company said that it was common for IBM laptops, and they went to Dell.

I am not competent to argue the case one way or the other, but based on his experience, and the comments of the company computer folks, I would not buy one.

Jerry

5. twig

twig Guest

I am provided with a IBM X40 with my work out in the field . I really like it . However Iv gone through 2 Dell 2000 Latitudes in the 2 yrs previous. We were provided with IBM thinkpads earlier on in the year and I find them great. Very small and Liteweight . Good battery life of usually over 5 hrs . My Dells would need recharching every 2 hrs or so which was not always convienient . Personally I find the X40 a very nice laptop and far better than the Dells in robustness and use. Also better able to handle a variety of conditions and treatment. However thats just my experiences with both.

6. Wolfe

Wolfe Registered Member

One of my laptops is a Thinkpad T43 - apart from two main self-build main systems and a HP NC6000 and a HP NC8000. I'm rather happy with all of them. The T43 did survive falling from the table though. I didn't try that for comparison reasons with the HPs :D

All in all I do regard the IBM/Levono series very reliable. They're not coming cheap though.

7. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I will NEVER recommend, or buy a Lenovo product (Thinkpad, ThinkCentre) because of what they did to Durham, North Carolina:

"It's economic blackmail,"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.