Are You an iMAC computer user?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by twl845, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

With all the talk about WIN7 coming out and people taking the opportunity to upgrade to a new computer, the thought occurred to me, what about a MAC?
    So I want to ask you desktop iMAC users how difficult it was for you to migrate from a pc to a MAC. Were you able to transfer your apps from your pc OK? I read where it says their people at the store will do it for you if you like. I wonder how that experience went for you if you had them do it for you. How are you doing finding apps that are MAC compatible, and how do you like using your MAC opposed to using your pc? How is the support? Is it in India? Consumer Reports says it ranks high. I ask all this because eventually I will have to leave my old friend XP and my 5 year old pc that runs better today than when I bought it, and I am exploring possibilities. Visiting the iMAC site, I like what i see. Moving to a MAC would be a big gamble having no experience with them. Thanks for any input. :)

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi twl845!

Well all I can say is that I have read a lot about macs the last 2 years,
    but my economy didn't let me buy one until 2 weeks ago. The new 27" iMac!

Though, it haven't acctually arrived yet:( but soon very soon I hope.

So i haven't imigrated yet from my PC to the Mac so idk how difficult it will be, but from what i heard it's quite easy so to speak ;)

Very recently Macworld.com wrote a very good "Moving from PC to Mac guide"
    wich can be found here: http://www.macworld.com/article/143519/2009/11/mac_windows_switchers_guide.html?lsrc=top_1 <<.

And if you would like an iMac then it's time to buy, since Apple have recently been upgraded the hardware.

Also, when you buy your Mac don't forget to also but the "ACPP"
    (Apple Care Protection Plan" wich extends the warranty to 3 more years.

And as you say, everyone says that the Apple support is awesome.
    It surely is IF you got the ACPP then in most cases you can just leave your mac to the "Apple Genius Bar" for free, since you bought the ACPP when you bought your Mac Apple will not charge you before the ACPP runs out.

If you wonder anythingmore just ask mate.

BTW! How come that we don't have a Mac section at Wilderso_O
    We got Unix and Linux but no Mac hmmmm......
    I have been wondering for a while but never asked, but now i did!

Cheers, SweX

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I can't afford the 27" setup, but the 21" is big enough for me. You say yours hasn't arrived yet. The web site says it ships in 24 hours if I read it right, so you should be getting it shortly.
    I have been going through all the tutorials on the site, and it seems easy enough to use. I won't be making a decision for quite a while but I'll continue to read.
    You're right. Why don't they have a MAC forum? :D

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi again!

I see, well the 21" is nice as well.

Hehe I have a tiny 19" CRT screen now so the 27" will feel HUGE :D

But I picked the 27" model cause you can you it as standalone screen as well, if you for example plug in a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro via the mini-displayport and use it as a screen :)

And of course the resolution on the screen is quite impressive so to speak:cool:

Though, As I said don't forget the ACPP when you make the purchase ;)

Yea i probably should get it soon. Website says 24 hour now? Hehe it said 1 week on Oct 22 when I bought it!
    But i read yesterday that ATi/AMD is getting after on producing graphich cards for customers, so that's probably why it takes a little longer than normal.

YES why not a Mac forum? Who can one ask?

Cheers, SweX

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Here is an interesting reading:
    http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=20138.0

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It's trivial. Took a minute to get acclimated.
    Exactly what do you mean here? Windows apps = Windows OS. Mac apps = Mac OS. Will you be running Windows as a second boot partition or virtualized?
    There's plenty. It depends what you use a PC for. For standard stuff (office, music, surfing, banking/etc.) there are plenty of options.
    Support is fine if needed.

Blue

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Not a mac user but I have played around with macs.
    My Brother in law and my sister recently (in the last six months) bought an imac and a macbook.

After I saw them some basics about how to image and backup (1 hour speedy lesson), they found their way and now their pcs (1 desktop and 3 laptops) rest for weeks with a being accessed.

Mac OS X is probably the most intuitive operating system. As apple advertises... "it simply works"; or as I say "is the OS for dummies". :p
    Now I have to use teamviewer once every 2-3 months instead of twice a day to help them out when they are in trouble. :D

You cannot go wrong if you can afford it. After 3-4 hours you will feel like you used it for years (it's that intuitive!).

Panagiotis

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Blue - It may be trivial for someone like yourself, but for a non-techie like myself, I might need help. :p When I mention apps, I mean the applications we install on our OS. i.e. Word, Adobe Elements, Eset, etc. from a pc to a MAC. :)

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Was for me too. I purchased one this week. :)

I haven't had a lot of time yet to mess around with it, but so far i'm really liking it. Beautiful LED screen, wireless, real eye candy. :D

I, like u, was a pc user exclusively, took a lot of thought but have always been intrigued with mac so what the hell, i made the jump and so far i'm glad i did.

I'm also glad i purchased the "one to one' care as i'm going to need all the help i can get. First appt set for tomorrow with a genius. :p

Other things purchased so far, apple care, iworks, external hdd(more to come i'm sure). :D

Take the plunge twl845, i suspect u won't regret it. ;) :D

PS-it's really unnerving not using any malware apps, but i'll get used to it i'm sure. :argh:

snowbound

11. BlueZannetti

Well, my younger son who had used only Windows PC's extensively, except for having me set up on old laptop with Ubuntu for a recording app, decided on Mac before heading off to college this Fall and he's managed that on his own without trouble. It's like any change - from an OS environment to a major version upgrade of any application that you've used extensively - you have an ingrained way of doing thing based on previous context. You need to change some aspects of that with the new OS/app, but I've found it rather facile jumping between XP and OS-X.

If the switch from Windows to a standard Linux is a 10 in difficulty, Windows to OS-X is a 2-3. There are no issues with software/hardware integration due to the tight control of the platform. One thing I really like on the Mac OS is the Time Machine/Time Capsule facility and integration. Both sons are Mac users, both implemented this facility, both have been glad they had it available.

Blue

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll need it when I eventually make a decision. :)

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK here's a question. I have speakers and a subwoofer on my DELL. Could I jack this set up into a desktop iMAC? I see the speakers are enclosed in the unit of the iMAC and I'm guessing they aren't the best.

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I've read here and there that the speakers in the new iMacs (Late 2009) have been upgraded, and people say that they isn't bad at all actually,
    if you compare with the old ones that is.

But of course, that really depends on what you are going to use the speakers for exactly, heavy bass music maybe isn't what they do best.
    But I guess you and I will find out when we get our Macs ;)

And regarding your question if you can plug in your Dell sound system in the iMac. I actually don't know, so I let some on else answer :doubt:.

SweX

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Swex - I haven't made my decision to buy a mac yet. I won't do it until my XP isn't supported any more or my 5 year old pc gives me trouble, which ever comes first. I ask about my DELL speakers and subwoofer because they are great, and it would be great if I can use them with the mac if I go that way. I configured a new DELL on line with the features I want, and it would cost about $1750. That's about what the number 2 MAC costs. I don't like the fact that as someone said " a Mac is like an appliance all sealed up. If it goes your screwed". Someone else said a MAC is slower that Vista. I spoke to a Mac owner, and he said it's not true. Maybe it depends on what you elect to put in it.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

So is it true that on Mac machines there is no need of antimalware? Is it 100% safe? I'm thinking of getting a Macbook next, I love their design, and hopefully it would cure me of this malware obsession, if it is true that they are shunned by malware writers.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

mac's are starting to getting malware. the only reason they havent got much malware so far is due to market share. why target something that has a tiny percentage of the market when you can target something that has 90percent of the market?

18. Creer

Creer Registered Member

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes, I know that you haven't decided wich way to go yet.
    But all I said was what i've read about the new upgraded speakers in the new iMacs, thats all. And that they weren't as bad as the former ones.

And of course Winxp idk how many years XP will be supported by MS, but at least 2 years if i remember correctly. And by that time there will be a new generation Macs out.
    And your 5 year old PC might not give you and troubles at all you know :D

Regarding malware for Macs, Yes there are malware for Macs.
    People that say there are noone, they lie!
    The last six months, there have been released one Trojan every week.
    Wich isn't a lot if you compare with windows 30,000 a day :rolleyes:

SweX

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I may be mistaken, but I thought MS wanted to cease support for XP a while ago, and if Vista hadn't been a flop, they would have, so XP support was extended. Now it seems WIN7 seems to be the expected success MS hoped for so I would guess XP's support is less than 2 years. As for my PC, I think 2 more years of trouble free service is a wish. :D I think I'll be upgrading inside of 6 months to a year. ;)

21. BlueZannetti

Mainstream support ended in 2009, extended support (which includes security update support) ends in 2014. Most businesses will be on XP for a few years yet.

Blue

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Blue - Thanks for the heads up. :)

23. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i wuld NEVER own an iMac nor wuld i want to let alone USE one...

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

HAHA of course you wouldn't you're a PC guy!!! :D

25. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

very true :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.