Are you a Sandboxie user?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Tyrizian, Jul 15, 2014.

?

Are you a Sandboxie user?

1. Yes, in Real-time

37.5%
  2. Yes, On-demand

24.0%
  3. No, I don't need it

21.2%
  4. No, I don't like it

11.5%
  5. Never tried it and never will

4.8%
  6. Never tried it, but I plan on it

1.0%
  1. guest

guest Guest

Former Sandboxie user. ;)

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Tzuk has been gone now for a few months and to this day, I see no reason for not trusting Invincea. This guys are doing a pretty decent job maintaining SBIE. To me, thats whats important.

If where they from is what bothers you. On that regard, I am on the opposite side. They being from the Washington area makes it easier for me to trust them as a company. And in fact, I like that they are an American company.

About your issues. Freezes, crashes, you get that kind of problems due to conflicts. If you use Sandboxie on its own or with an antivirus or anti malware and maybe something else, you wont have issues. But if you continuously change security setups or use too many products, freezes and crashes are to be expected.

Sandboxie is still unique. There is nothing like it. There is nothing that do things like Sandboxie does. And is so simple that even children can use it. Read this short thread from a couple of days ago.That is Sandboxie at work.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/...&sid=7f839c6548c1ebf3a1f841ea632ab03f#p102296

Bo

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes I agree with you on that Bo. I installed it on few friends' systems who constantly got infected. After installing and setting up SBIE I don't get calls any more. For "dangerous computing" SBIE is really effective security tool.
    OTOH for me personally it can cause more problems than it can help me.

4. bo elam

Hi hqsec, most problems that people report with Sandboxie have to with something that's not compatible. In many cases is a feature in a program that don't play well with SBIE and not the main part of the program. What kind of problem have you experienced with SBIE?

Bo

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I got few problems after Chrome updates (I believe it was version 32 an then later one another update also). I got errors like "service not implemented" and similar. Usually it was fixed with new beta (and later final) release. After each Chrome update I crossed my finger, hoping that it won't break SBIE compatibility.
    Since I was practicing safe computing, SBIE didn't have any serious "work to do". I decided to go with setup without SBIE.
    I still think that this is great tool, but after Tzuk sold it, I got a feeling that program is only getting bug fixes. I didn't notice any new development (e.g. new functions ...).

6. bo elam

Hqsec, like with any software, compatibility can break after a SBIE or Chrome update. I think most problems between Chrome and SBIE are solved at this time but I am not sure, I don't use Chrome. Sometimes I install Dragon in a sandbox and use it for a few hours. I did this past Sunday and Dragon installed and ran well sandboxed like it always has for me.

For the future. Some Sandboxie messages can be hidden without consequence. If you install SBIE again and you continue to get a SBIE message 2205 when you run Chrome, Hide it and see if Chrome works well after doing so. I am not sure now but I think I hidden SBIE 2205 message in my KMPlayer sandbox in my XP. And KMPlayer works great.

I prefer Sandboxie don't change much. New features in my opinion are not necessary or even desired. But thats me, a Sandboxie user who likes Sandboxie as it is right now. But there has been a couple of security additions to Sandboxie since Tzuk left. See the second change for Version 4.10.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?VersionChanges#v_4_10

Bo

7. Reality

Reality Registered Member

What is the difference please between "in real time" and "on demand"

8. bo elam

Good question Reality:cool:. I think Ty means using Sandboxie all the time as "in real time" but I am not sure.

To me, running most programs and files in my computers all the time under Sandboxie, rarely running programs out of the sandbox, usually only for updates is "in real time".

Bo

9. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

The way I understand it: Paid version you can force SBIE to open and run when you open your normal browser (IE, FF....) that would be real time. Opening SBIE with the SBIE browser would be on demand. Correct me if I'm wrong.

10. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

he probably means forced programs/folders or otherwise

11. Reality

Thanks bo, I thought it might have been something like that. I'm still very new at SBIE but successfully installed a couple of programs within it. I thought that was great! I have a lot to learn about it though and mainly only run it through my browser at this point.

12. Reality

Thx ProTruckDriver and Joxxx, your posts came in just beofre mine.

13. ichito

ichito Registered Member

It's a good statement
    moreover I don't need it because of Shadow Defender and SpyShelter with enabled limited rights for some apps on board.
    So...I voted "No, I don't need it"

14. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Pretty much sums it up for me.

I understand that view and have run like that myself but it just doesn't give me the flexibility I like and get from SBIE. The all or nothing exceptions in both AG and SD don't come close to the individual app/folder/box restrictions/exeptions you get with SBIE.

I run SBIE in a RAM disc but don't think it helps privacy at all really. You may have the benefit browsing history being deleted but too much like DNS cache etc are not sandboxed so a lot of stuff is still stored locally for those who know where to find it. SD is better for privacy. Your ISP sees all anyway unless you used a VPN etc.

In general it needs some expertise to set up to use on it's own or as your primary defense but it can be done and it is an excellent addition to other approaches.

It may not be perfect but I still think the chances of SBIE being breached in the wild are far less than your favourite AV missing an ITW (especially zero day) sample. They all do everyday.

Cheers

15. pegr

pegr Registered Member

What you say is true. For sheer granularity, Sandboxie is unbeatable. However, I had some issues when I was using Sandboxie, which eventually led me to abandon it and seek an alternative.

One of them that was quite irritating was that after playing any video inside the sandbox, all subsequent scrolling on web pages would be very slow and jerky - so bad that I would have to empty the sandbox and reload the browser, just to be able to carry on surfing the web. This was not due to a conflict with other security software because the problem persisted even when I rebuilt the system with Sandboxie as the only security software installed.

This appears to be a rare problem because there was nothing on Wilders or the Sandboxie forum about it, and one or two of my friends were (at my recommendation) using Sandboxie without any issue. I was never able to get to the bottom of what was causing it.

Overall, although Sandboxie is a great application, it didn't work well for me, so in the end I decided to move on and find an alternative. Apart from its granularity, a major plus point for Sandboxie is that it combines virtualization and policy restriction in a single program. For users for whom it works well, Sandboxie can provide a complete security solution, and may well be the only real-time protection needed.

16. bo elam

Hi Pegr, perhaps what you see in your PC after playing Flash videos is rare but having problems running Flash contents within the sandbox is not that unusual. There is a solution for Firefox users. For some people this workaround is not worth it. But if you like to try it, this is what it is.

If you are running XP and I think you are, if you disable Plugin container, it is likely the problem you describe would go away. In W7, the workaround is to disable Protected mode. Again, some of ours friends here don't agree or recommend doing what I describe but that's how it is in some computers. In fact, in my XP, I have to disable plugin container myself as well. The symptoms in my XP are different than yours but the cause is the same.

Bo

17. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Bo,

Disabling the Firefox plugin container was one of the first things I tried, but it didn't make any difference, and I had the same problem using Internet Explorer. I also made sure I was using the latest hardware device drivers in order to eliminate that as a possible cause. I only saw one other post describing similar symptoms to mine and that was also on Windows XP, so it is a rare problem that very few users experience.

When I buy a new machine - probably next year when Windows 9 is released - I may try Sandboxie again. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regards
    pegr

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have been using SB for years on all of my machines with restrictions. Before SB I was using ShadowUser and then Shadow Defender systematically (I still use it, but on demand, and in particular situations). What I like about SB, is the fact that 'restrictions' alone behave as a powerful anti executable for a lot of malware wanting to start or connect home. I also like the fact that with SB I don't have to 'commit' anything to save files or reboot the system for updates. As Peter2150 said definitely my first line of defense.

19. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Yes using it since I began to experience browser attacks in the past. I tried others but Sandboxie satisfies my needs, and I am just using their free version.

I felt safer with it and still there are times my browser would occasionally experience attacks when visiting some friendly sweet looking sites but Sandboxie handles them effectively.

20. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Never had a problem with it over the last couple of years of using it.

I love the small system impact contrasting with the powerful restriction policies, minimum effort meets maximum effect.

No similar "app" has freeware version and stick it on along with a free av and you`ve got yourself a security suite.

Would`nt go online without it.

Regards Eck

21. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Long time VMware user here (development environments), but always fancied a lightweight host-VM. When family got a couple of drive-by infections untrapped by AV about 3 years ago, decided to act. Loved Sandboxie from the outset because it's practical - the security you use and all that. Have not had any issues since.

These days, I use a combination of Sandboxie and VMs which I love. The VMs are manually (but worse) emulating Qubes which I'm also interested in, I think it's the right approach with sufficient resources.

I'd like to get AppArmor on Linux going more, I've found that much harder than Sandboxie to configure, but a million thanks to the contributors in the Unix thread recently that relate.

I was highly concerned with the transition to Invincea, but have been very pleased with what's happened since - at the top end of the positive results from these sort of things. My only gripe is that they are not really offering a compelling on-ramp to their commercial offering for SMB. But an upvote for Invincea here.

My feeling is that, over time, both applications and OS will increasingly implement various forms of sandbox - but it is not this day, so Sandboxie is wonderful. It's absurd that applications get unfettered access to everything by default, even when they have no business doing so. I'd like much better OS control of what internet resources applications can access without frigging around with zones and so on - which is quite awkward. I'd also like to see a controlled way in Windows for how applications can receive updates from repositories in a really secure way. Right now, applications are rolling their own methods which is vulnerable.

I'd also like to see more control of disk file-systems, a kind of disk firewall with controls over what can access where.

22. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have been using it since 2004, but not for realtime protection. I use it mostly to quickly check out apps, without risking my system. On my new machine I´m planning to also use a dedicated sandboxed "safe browser" for online banking and shopping. After all these years, it´s still a mind blowing tool. :)

23. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Haven't used Sandboxie in months.

I'm considering revisiting it in a few weeks, at the least to test how my setup deals with Flash exploits. Also I want to audit my XP machine, which uses no real-time protection but whitelists Javascript.

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Neither have I. Oh wait, yes I have... every day. I just forgot that it was there. :thumb:

25. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I would notice every time I'd have to update Palemoon :p I also didn't like the slight delay before launching programs. One day after reinstalling Windows on my machines, I just didn't get around to putting Sandboxie on and surprisingly didn't miss it.

I suppose that's the one advantage of the Mozilla update service for Firefox: it works well with Sandboxie for seamless updates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.