Are smartwatches useful?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ams963, Dec 30, 2013.

?

Are smartwatches useful?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2014.
  1. Yes [please mention how]

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. No - maybe in the future [please mention what you expect]

21 vote(s)
    56.8%
  3. No - never will [please mention why]

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Are smartwatches useful?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Once something standalone like Omate TrueSmart becomes more usable, they'll be nothing more than fancy smartphone accessories.

3. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Right now, no. 5-10 years from now, maybe. They are going to have to do things a smartphone can't..whatever that will be..and figure out how to get them down to normal watch size, before anyone but braggers and those willing to put up with early adoption blues will bite.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

At the moment I really don't see the point when I have a smartphone in my pocket, and they don't seem to offer any particularly unique or useful features. However, I can't rule out the possibility that perhaps in the future as they improve I may have use for one.

5. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I seem them as just 'cool' gadgets to have. ure my phone can do all I need, but I wouldn't mind betting many people will buy them just to be cool. I won't be one of them unless something truly special is released, like the ability to teleport me anywhere I wish. :)

6. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Nope. I only wear mechanical ones.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

People that will buy a Smartwatch in the future will probably ditch their smartphone (if they own one) if they work more or less the same.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  8. roger_m

I don't think so as smartphones are increasingly getting bigger with some phone having a 6.5" screen size, so I don't think people will ditch their phones for a tiny smartwatch.

9. guest

guest Guest

As for now, nope.

10. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

They might become a trend thing, like all trends they simply fade with time. Me I have no use for a smart watch. I don't wear a watch. My pocket watch has been replaced by my smarter-than-me cell phone.

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hey man, i love my mechanical watches but no smartwatch can beat my Casio Databank (Which isnt a mechanical device LOL). :D
    A kids dream come true!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That was "if they work more or less the same" wich they currently don't do of course. But I guess it also depends what you do on your smartphone, power user or not, and if you will be able to do the same on the watch or not. If you can do the same then why carry around a phone too when you can have the same functions on your wrist, even though on a smaller display obviously :doubt: I am sure some will ditch it but most probably won't it will differ from person to person a lot I believe.

But we'll see how it goes with this in the future anyhow :D

But then again I would never get a 6,5" phone, 3,5 up to 5" is my limit :p

14. roger_m

It is not practical to have full smartphone functionality on a phone due to tiny screen size. For example the screen is small to display a keyboard - so how are you going to be able to text?

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Dick Tracy loves his. ;)

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Define useful.
    Mrk

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well I was thinking one would use some kind of voice control tech for that. Smartphones already have that ability, so they will probably implement something like that in the Smartwatch too in one way or the other. :D

18. roger_m

But, it's a lot more than just text input. A smartphone is so much more than just a phone. How are you going to use the millions of apps available for smartphones on a watch size screen? What about surfing the internet or taking photos - many people use their phone instead of cameras.

For the most part, a watch is not suited for any of these, so it won't replace a smartphone. Plus the trend of smartphonse is to have ever increasing screen sizes - it's a case of bigger is better up to a point. I say up to a point as some people don't want a screen anywhere near as big as on a Galaxy Note series phone for example. But still, most smartphones these days have a 4" or larger screen.

Certainly I can see smartwatches being used to supplement smartphones, but that's about it.

19. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Never. A smartphone can do all a smartwatch can, with a more useful display.

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Exactly.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Unfortunately I can't look into the future so I don't know the exact shape or functionality of the smartwatch so it's impossible for me to answer, how you're going to surf the net, use apps etc etc... time will tell. But as I said it all depends on how a person uses their smartphone today, and what you will be able to do with the watch. And people that doesn't own a smartphone today may go for a Smartwatch directly if it's interesting.

You'd probably get better answers sending questions like these to the companies directly. All I/we do in here is speculating afaik. :D

22. roger_m

I wasn't speculating how this could be on a watch, I was pointing out that the screen size of a watch is much too small to run apps or browse the internet, meaning that smartwatches won't replace smartphones.

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Course it will be impossible to surf the web on a display that small, unless the display will be retractable like the keyboard on some phones, now i'm speculating again :)

24. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Yes, you will be able to surf the web on the sleeve of your smart shirt (which is plugged into your smart phone) which has a keyboard displayed on it. Your not the only one who can speculate.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No why would I be, anyone can think out loud :blink:

But what you're talking about is a totally different product.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.