Are Refurbished Laptops a Wise Investment?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Judge Dee, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

A friend wants to spend $250 on a refurbished Dell from a company that says it's been in business for 14 years. Would he be wiser to wait until he had the money to buy a new one?
    He depends very highly on his computer, and it seems to me that you're taking too many chances buying a used laptop.
    His desktop is still quite functional, but he wants to become mobile.
    Thanks.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Scotcov, do you know the specifications of this refurbished Dell?

Items like Model, RAM, hard drive size, other features, etc., would he helpful in determining whether it is a wise investment.

3. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Hi JRViejo,
    No, I don't know, but I will ask him.
    If the specs are high enough, is it as safe an investment as buying a new one ( as safe as that can be nowadays:doubt: )?

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi Scotcov,A lot of refurbished products does not mean a bad investment.For Example If I purchase a lab top today lets say from a local store And I return it a day later for what ever reason,In the US the law is it could not be sold as new because it has been purchsed once already.So either store sells at a open box price or they return to factory of the maker.At this point the lap top will be inspected to make sure it meets factory specs,Cleaned etc.Then it will be sold as refubished.There are some circumstances of used or refurbished may have small marks scratches scuffs etc,but electronicaly meet new factory specs.Keep in mind your friend needs to compare specs to prices ratio of refurb to a new one.I hope this helps

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Scotcov, "safe" depends on many factors. You state that the seller has been in business for 14 years and if a check with the local Better Business Bureau (if here in the U.S.), does not uncover any negatives, that's one step.

The next item to consider: does the laptop come with a warranty? If so, how long: 30 days... 90 days... a year? If no warranty, what's the seller's return policy: complete refund... partial refund... store credit?

Last item, what are the PC's specs and the installed software? This would allow your friend to compare "used" versus "new" for their asking price.

IMO, I would be more inclined to buy a refurbished PC direct from a PC manufacturer than from a retailer, mainly due to tech support, should something go wrong. However, there are many reputable sellers out there that would stand behind their product. So, there's not an easy answer to your question, until we know the above details.

6. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Yes djohn, this does help. I know that scratches won't bother him at all. Thanks for the help also JRViejo. I'll try to get that info (prob tomorrow).

7. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Well, the store is an internet based store, and basically the specs for their computers are somewhat like my own Toshiba laptop. Around 2 GHz processor, around 1000 MB of ram, 110 GB hard drive. My machine cost around $800, if I remember correctly (I tried to quickly forget :)) . I passed on what you told me, and he feels a little better about doing it.
    Thanks, guys.
    Scotcov

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

The Acer laptop I bought back in January was recertified. So far the only problem I have had with it is a dead pixel but it is down at the bottom of the screen where the dark Vista taskbar is so it is not that noticeable. I upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2, added a Bluetooth module, and upgraded from a six cell battery to a nine (get over 4 hours instead of 2 now).

Acer gives the same warranty to it's refurbs as well (one year standard with extended warranty for a price).

9. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I'll add my 2 cents here.
    I don't think the elctronics wil give him any problem. But I would not expect much life from the HDD. I'm not saying it will be damaged (maybe he is lucky and the hard disk is in perfect conditions). He just need to be prepared in case it fails.
    The HDD and the cd/dvd drive, as being the only components with moving parts, are the most likely to fail. And with refurbished you don't know how the previous owner treated the laptop.

10. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I agree with HURST. :thumb:

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Scotcov, glad we were able to help. If your friend decided to buy that Dell, offer him access to the The PC Decrapifier, "a program designed to remove or uninstall a specific list of unwanted software in an unattended fashion. It can be used to clean off most of the annoying software that is typically shipped with newer PCs."

12. ambient_88

Better yet, reinstall a fresh copy of Windows (assuming that an OS disc is included. I personally use the Anytime Upgrade disc.)

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ambient_88, that would be the best way to go but I believe Dell supplies a recovery disk only and that would add all their original junk back during a reinstall, so PC Decrapifier is a simple alternative to eliminate them.

14. HURST

HURST Registered Member

My Dell (not refurb), came with a lot of junk installed. They didn't send a XP CD, they just added a recovery partition that reinstalled all their junk. I mailed support and told them that I screwed up the partitions and that the recovery was gone. They sent me a XP CD and a drivers CD. No preinstalled apps.

15. ambient_88

Nice... :thumb: :D

16. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Great input. I'm going to point him to this thread, and strongly recommend he follow your advice. And it sounds like he definitely ought to go to the manufacturer.
    He's is a fanatic about external drive backups, so I don't think he'll worry about HD longevity.
    Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.