Archive to USB xtrnl hdd via export snap or ?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Well I assume one doesn't have to create an empty snapshot on an external HDD to archive snapshots do they? I just created simple folders nothing else on the external hdd and then didn't know if I should use the export snapshot function or use create/ copy and use the internal option to place it in an archive since I though it might just put in in an archive on the original host computer. So I chose to export a copy of my original snapshot and put it in a folder I called archive on my external HDD. Now the problem becomes I also pointed my archives folder to this same external folder that I exported to. So will that create a problem if 2 different functions are pointing to the same external hdd folder to put archived snapshots? I hope not. My virgin snapshot copy was exported in there. Is the export import function mainly for cd/dvd? I hope I did that right. I'm worried that my exported snapshot will get written over if I archive something else into that same folder from say a copy/update and pointing it to the archive folder. I wonder if I have to make another folder inside the E:ARCHIVE folder to keep the images seperate?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Horus, this might sound silly, but you need to read the manual that comes with FDISR. It would help you understand what the different functions are and how to use them.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Horus37,
    Like Peter already suggested : RTFM and it takes time to learn how to use FDISR.

Import/Export is for archiving and restoring snapshots on CD or DVD.
    If you use an internal or external harddisk for archiving and restoring, you don't need import/export.

For archiving and restoring snapshots on an internal or external harddisk, you have to use Copy/Update.
    Copy/Update from bootable snapshot to archived snapshot = ARCHIVE.
    Copy/Update from archived snapshot to bootable snapshot = RESTORE.
    Copy/Update from bootable snapshot to bootable snapshot = COPY/UPDATE

FDISR uses always the same Copy/Update, but sometimes it means create or copy or update or archive or restore and that depends on the kind of snapshot you use as source and as destination (new snapshot, new archive, archived snapshot, bootable snapshot, ...).
    Even the frozen snapshot is based on a Copy/Update = RESTORE from archived snapshot, named "Freeze Storage.ARX" to the frozen snapshot with a blue star.
    That's why FDISR is so brilliant in design. :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  4. Horus37

You know the manual that comes with the download is the only manual I've ever seen so if that is what you are talking about I've read it a bunch of times and it all is still not clear on the issues I bring up. Maybe there is some mysterious 300 pg softcover manual they ship with the cds but I've never seen anything like that since I did only a download of the program. Inside there is a basic manual but I'd like to make some additions to it to make it more clear.

I'll explain below in albert's post. Just telling someone to read the manual is no help since I've read the manual. Must I post my GPA from college to prove I am worthy of getting help on this board? You're a little too condesending since that's all you seem to point to. If you can't chime in with help then don't be a broken record about the incomplete manual.

5. Horus37

Well Erik,

You might be surprised to know then that I accomplished a backup of an snapshot using the export function to an external folder I put on my USB hdd. So you are saying that it's only for CD's but it worked and I have a perfect copy of my primary now sitting in an archive on my usb hdd by doing the export function. Now what worries me is if I use the copy update function and point it to an archive, how does this know to go to the external USB hdd instead of making the archive on the host system since the only option if gives you is the term <arhive> and doesn't specify if it's external or on the host? I'm worried I'm going to have 2 archives in one folder on the usb hdd and wonder if that causes problems since the two files got there in the archive via 2 different fuctions -1 via export and 1 via copy/update. Plus I have another folder for my Frozen storage that seems to be fine and no problem. I'm wondering how the computer will know which archived snapshot inside the ARCHIVE folder it will look for when you import if 2 files are in the same folder? So then you get people like peter saying :read the manual, but the manual doesn't cover this. I'm trying not to experiment too much since I have already had to nuke my computer once. If it's true that you should only use copy/udate to create an external usb archive snapshot then I'll have to erase that archive and do it again I suppose. It's wierd that it worked though.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  6. screamer

screamer Registered Member

ErikAlbert, Not so. The Export function is not used exclusively for CD / DVD. It's just "another way" of moving the SS to off-line Storage such as ext. HDD "or" CD / DVD.

7. ErikAlbert

I never said only on CD or DVD. The normal use of import/export is for CD's and DVD's and that's why you can split an archived snapshot into smaller parts that fit on a CD or DVD during the export.
    Read the Export Wizard Screen and you will see it.

And of course import/export will work on an internal or external harddisk, that is logical, because there is no size problem on harddisks.
    I would never use import/export for an external harddisk.

It might be interesting for you to test the refreshing of exported archived snapshots and splitted exported archived snapshots. :)

8. screamer

I've read it, I can't find "normal" anywhere. "To export a snapshot to a file for off-site backup purposes, choose Tools>Export Snapshot from the menu:"

That's a personal preference one would think

I have refreshed exported archived SS. I don't use DVD's. ;)

Your comment to the OP sounded definitive, conclusive, final...

I only point this out so that the OP knows he has options and extreme possibilities w/ FD-ISR. Like they say: There's more than one way to skin a cat. ;)

...screamer

9. ErikAlbert

Screamer,
    The most convenient way for archiving snapshots on harddisks is :

1. Define an archive folder in the Tools/Options/Archives, which is in my case :
    E:\Archived Snapshots, where [E:] = my external harddisk.
    This is a one-time operation.

All Archived Snapshots that are stored in that folder are visible in the main FDISR-screen under "Archived Snapshots".
    Any Archived Snapshot that isn't stored in that folder won't be displayed in the main FDISR-screen.

2. Use Copy/Update to archive snapshots.
    No experienced FDISR-user is going to use Import/Export as an alternative for Copy/Update (Archive), because Import/Export is inconvenient.

Import/Export is only used in two cases :
    1. If you have to archive snapshots on CD or DVD, because you can't do that with Copy/Update (Archive), when the archived snapshot has a bigger size than CD or DVD.
    Using CD/DVD's for archiving is very slow and CD/DVD's are unreliable as backup media.

2. If you have to archive snapshots in a folder on a harddisk, that is different from the one you defined in Tools/Option/Archives but that is rather exceptional and certainly not routine.
    Import/Export requires browsing to the right (or wrong) folder, Copy/Update (Archive) does not.

You can indeed skin a cat in different ways, I can even boot from an archived snapshot, but that isn't practical and convenient. That's why I always boot from a bootable snapshot.

But I'm not going to discuss this any further, because it isn't important.
    After all you are right, it is technical possible to use Import/Export for archiving snapshots on harddisk, but that is a method for unexperienced users, who don't know how to archive snapshots with Copy/Update.
    After all "Copy/Update" doesn't sound like "Archive" and it's understandable that an unexperienced user will start using "Import/Export" for archiving.

10. screamer

ERIKALBERT,

My whole and only point was to show/give the OP that he has options, that's it.

I agree w/ you that there are more convenient ways in skinning the proverbial cat. Personally, I don't use Export, but that's not the point. The point "was" ...

Ahh Forget it :)

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.