AppLocker rules cannot be enforced on computers running Windows 7 Professional?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jdd58, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Windows 7 Professional can be used to create AppLocker rules. However, AppLocker rules cannot be enforced on computers running Windows 7 Professional.

What is the sense of that? I was thinking of upgrading to Win7 so I checked out what was available in all the versions. I wanted to use and become familiar with applocker but I don't know if I want to justify the expense of the Ultimate version.

I think the Home premium version can be adequately secured. Looking for opinions on whether Ultimate is worth the expense for home use.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'd say it's a stupid design. Why allow to manage, but not enforce them? o_O

I understand the reason why not having AppLocker in lower Windows version, after all it's all business. But, I never understood why allowing to manage the rules in Windows 7 Professional, but not allow to enforce them. It's simply 100% stupid.

3. Melf

Melf Registered Member

If you have Win 7 Pro you have access to SRP, which I believe operates using the same machinery that empowers Applocker, but just takes more knowhow to set up.

Differences summarised here:
    Read here for summary of differences..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.