AppLocker rules cannot be enforced on computers running Windows 7 Professional?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jdd58, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Windows 7 Professional can be used to create AppLocker rules. However, AppLocker rules cannot be enforced on computers running Windows 7 Professional.

What is the sense of that? I was thinking of upgrading to Win7 so I checked out what was available in all the versions. I wanted to use and become familiar with applocker but I don't know if I want to justify the expense of the Ultimate version.

I think the Home premium version can be adequately secured. Looking for opinions on whether Ultimate is worth the expense for home use.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'd say it's a stupid design. Why allow to manage, but not enforce them? o_O

I understand the reason why not having AppLocker in lower Windows version, after all it's all business. But, I never understood why allowing to manage the rules in Windows 7 Professional, but not allow to enforce them. It's simply 100% stupid.

3. Melf

Melf Registered Member

If you have Win 7 Pro you have access to SRP, which I believe operates using the same machinery that empowers Applocker, but just takes more knowhow to set up.

Differences summarised here:
    Read here for summary of differences..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.