Application specific learning

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Melf, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melf

Melf Registered Member

Many security products come with learning mode these days, which is intended to make sure all your existing apps are allowed to do their thing. I don't like the thought of running this every time I add a new program though, because who knows what is lurking around waiting to get privileges made for itself.

It would suit me much better to enable learning mode briefly for each new thing I install, NOT for the entire OS. Wondering if anyone has seen any security software with "selective" learning?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Not sure if there is any that allows learning mode just for one app. I find that rarely the learning mode needs invoking as the security apps now so much already about the apps running anyway

3. Melf

Melf Registered Member

The thing is, I think that security apps are quite poor at keeping up with what even commonly used apps should be allowed to do. For example see this thread I made re: SpyShelter, which despite numerous popups could not both stop Excel from logging keys from my browser, and actually allow me to type in Excel :S

I think that learning mode would be a really good way to get rid of popups while also not compromosing protection.

4. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

well all of the programs these day don't have an AI
    nor the AI program are advance enough to decide whether this action is harmful
    or not

so till we can create an intellgence software product that will take over the world "skynet "

you won't be able to do that

Learning mode is good on Fresh setup just to minimize the popups
    everything else you have to decide manually

5. Melf

Melf Registered Member

The idea isn't for the program to decide what's harmful. The idea is for the program to learn what's allowed through normal use. It's exactly the same as the learning mode that we already see in many products today, but it would only apply to one application at a time.

6. There is software that can do exactly what you want... Unfortunately almost all of it is limited to Linux or UNIX (e.g. AppArmor, Tomoyo). The only software like that for Windows that I know of is Geswall, which IIRC is dead in the water.

It's really quite sad... Windows even now is not where UNIX has been for almost 10 years.

7. Melf

Melf Registered Member

I didn't know that Geswall can do that, that is neat-o.

Oh well, I can still dream. eg I have been harrassing the developer of Tiny Wall firewall here on the forums to include such a feature in his program ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.