AppGuard 4.2.8.1 good enough for Windows 10?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by karad, Jul 22, 2016.

1. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

An incompatibility between Chrome and AppGuard has never been reported - neither has there been any reported RAM incompatibilities.

With that being said, anything is possible IT related, but it is much more likely that the cause of the BSODs is not AppGuard.

And also with that being said, did your system create and save a memory dump after the BSOD ?

NOTE: The default path is C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP or %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP.

If you have that dump, then I can forward it to Blue Ridge Networks for analysis.

If AppGuard is the cause, then they will be able to tell by using the required symbols file.

2. boredog

boredog Registered Member

do you still recommend unchecking power shell in guarded apps section?

also for some reason I got quietzone gui in guarded apps and set to no twice and have all my other security software in advanced power apps but not quietzone.
    should remove quietzone from user space?

3. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

I would add powershell and powershell_ise to User Space (YES) and un-tick it in Guarded Apps list. Guarded Apps list over-rides User Space policy - so you have to un-tick ("remove") Guarded Apps policy in the list.

Why is QuietZone GUI in Guarded Apps list ?

4. boredog

"Why is QuietZone GUI in Guarded Apps list ?"
    it isn't anymore;)
    not sure how it got there. I have added it to power apps like all my others for now. strange thing is it was there but no selected.

5. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

You only need to add a soft to PowerApps if AG blocks something.

With softs like Rollback Rx, Drive Vaccine Rx, Shadow Defender, Returnil Quiet Zone -- there should be no block events.

That being said, if QuiteZone still has an AV module, then you want to add it to PowerApps.

6. cimmay

cimmay Registered Member

I went 4 days without one blue screen with AppGuard disabled. I will enable it again and wait for the next one, possibly today, and get the memory dump. With AppGuard enabled I'd get two a day. One other change made was the Asus AI 3 utility suite was uninstalled.

7. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Just a suggestion... don't run any system optimizer - like CCleaner or Wise Cleaner or cleanmgr immediately after any BSOD - as they will remove the memory.dmp.

I'd also check to make sure your system is configured to create a BSOD memory dump. There are two types - a full and a mini dump. BRN just requests the mini dump initially.

8. boredog

if using CCleaner here is the setting to stop deleting dump.

Attached Files:

9. cimmay

cimmay Registered Member

@ hjlbx, No Blue screens in 2.5 days. No errors in event viewer. It seemed like most of those crashes pointed in one way or another to Ram. It has been my rule to keep similar Dimms grouped together but seen a Gateway pc balance capacity across ram channels and before upgrading read HP recommend the same practice. I believe that's where the problem was and was solved by putting 2x8GB in one channel as dual mode and 2x4GB in single mode in the other channel. They are both identical brand, specs and model number except capacity, HyperX Savage. Besides that the Win 10 update may have corrected it, or removing the Asus utility suite. Thanks for support and to keep AppGuard installed and registered, it was a close call. This is a new pc build with motherboard and ram upgrade. Had blue screens for a month.

10. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

If you run into any further problem and suspect it is an AG issue, then please let me know.

I have to submit any *.dmps to BRN and the analysis might take some time; I suspect a few days...

Hope it is permanently resolved.

11. boredog

I think appguard is another dying product because it is not mainstream and not for the home user. but I will continue to use it just like I did processguard was many years ago.

12. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Why do you think that ?

13. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Although installing 'as-is' probably gives 'most' software restriction policy protection, tweaking to lock down further probably does require understanding beyond the mainstream user.
    But I don't believe it is a dying product.

14. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

I would only say that AppGuard is a dying product, if it fails to update to address OS compatibility and new threats.

15. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

AppGuard is already W10 compatible.

No new malicious file threats have surfaced that endanger the physical system in Lock Down mode; if they do surface, then BRN will address them.

Improvements need to be made to certain sub-items in AppGuard's existing repertoire of protections.

The GUI and certain usability items need to be improved.

Shortcomings have been identified via user reports, re-tested internally to verify any reports, documented and placed on the Bugzilla list.

Testing is continual.

I know everybody want things fixed yesterday, but that - unfortunately - isn't realistic for a whole range of valid and practical reasons. I get impatient too... so I do understand.

16. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

I know. What I meant was that if it fails to update in order to address OS compatibility, etc. in the future, then I would mark it as dead or semi-dead. :)
    For example, if MS releases a major update for Windows 10, then it breaks AppGuard's functionality, I would presume that BRN must update their software to resolve the incompatibility.

I think the examples of "dead" products are Defense Wall and PrivateFirewall.

17. guest

guest Guest

But don't expect a fix within "a few days". They do a lot of testing and before a new version is finally released, it has to go through their "quality management".

18. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

Yep! As long as BRN doesn't do another DefenseWall or PrivateFirewall, it should be good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.