AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Hmm im glad i didnt report it as a bug :oops:
    It was a setting in appguard that i didnt notice (although im surprised appguard didnt log anything) which had avg folder set to deny access,when it should have been set to read/write.All working now :cautious:

Attached Files:

2. ellison64

Damn...i think its time to watch T.V.If id set appguard alerts to all i would have seen the problem ages ago.....

Attached Files:

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Ellison you are cracking me up! Glad you got that figured out. :D

4. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

5. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I wanted to update everyone on the status of the release. I will know more later today, but our test department has been focusing on another product and has not had the bandwidth to spend testing AppGuard. As of Friday, the other product's testing is finally completed so I've requested that they again focus on AppGuard so we can hopefully get it released by the end of this week (at least as a beta). Sorry for the delay.

6. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Don't ever worry about "making a fool of" yourself. We love to get feedback. Support emails usually help us improve the product. In fact, I think that the configuration problem that caused your issue is fairly common and I think we should probably improve the way exception folders are defined.

7. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Im thinking maybe whitelisting like for sandboxie and other popular apps used by wilders member would help alot.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I would just shoot for fixing all known bugs in the next build, and not add any additional features or capabilities as a released RC or stable build. Anytime you add additional features you bring with it the possibility of new bugs. If I was a developer my 1st priority would be to fix all known bugs for the next build. Some of those I beta test for have separate Dev builds that are more like an alpha stage or beta at best. These builds are meant more for a long term goal in mind, and the additional feature being tested may be several months away from being released. No software will ever be 100% bug free, but there are several known bugs affecting users here so lets just shoot for a build that will fix the bugs affecting use presently so we will have an improved bug fixed build to use while we wait for additional features, and improvements to be added. AG stops pretty much all threats just the way it is.

9. newbino

newbino Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

10. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I think our power apps feature (already available in 3.3, but a little buggy) is what you're looking for.

11. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

The development on the next version of AppGuard has been closed for the past three weeks. In other words we're only bug fixing at this point. The primary reason for the 3.4 release is to fix the defects in 3.3, but a few new features were added (mostly as a result of suggestions made during the beta of 3.3):
    1. The ability to customize the alert levels.
    2. Enhanced update notification dialog: Contains live links to download page, license status (whether your existing license will be valid for the upgrade) and you will only be notified once per new release.
    3. A parental control was added for power apps.

The bug fixes are:
    1. On 64-bit systems, Power Applications located in the “Program Files (x86)” directory were not always being recognized as power applications. This defect has been fixed in this release.
    2. Sometimes when adding Power Applications, User-space folders and Guarded Application folder definitions, blank entries were being added. This defect has been fixed in this release.
    3. In the previous versions, Guard List applications were only partially MemoryGuarded (i.e. read protection was in force) in the Locked Down protection level. With this release, all Guarded applications are fully MemoryGuarded in the Locked Down protection level.
    4. In the previous version when a blank suspension timeout value was entered on the AppGuard User Interface, AppGuard would continually prompt for the end-user to enter an integer between 0 and 1440. This defect has been fixed in this release.
    5. In previous versions of AppGuard, AppGuard’s protections interfered with the audio function of several 64-bit versions of Microsoft Applications (Word, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player). This defect has been fixed in this release.
    6. In previous versions, even though the Click to Run virtual drive (usually “Q”) could be specified as a user-space exclusion, AppGuard did not recognize the exclusion folder because of the drive’s permissions. This defect has been fixed in this release enabling Click to Run applications such as Office Starter to be able to executed in High and Locked Down protection levels.
    7. In previous versions, Guarded Applications that reside on a Network Drive were not displayed in the “Guarded Execution->Suspend” menu list. This defect has been fixed in this release.
    8. Previous versions of AppGuard caused a delay when the 64-bit version of Microsoft Office first started. This defect has been fixed in this release.
    Although the development has actually been finished for the past three weeks, our QA department has been focused on another product. Although, it has received some QA testing already, it has just become the focus now and hopefully will be released later this week.

12. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks for the update Barb!

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I cant waite:D

14. ellison64

Is there a new build of appguard out today?.Ive had two popups today from appguard mentioning v3.3 and to visit the site.However the one i already have is 3.3 so im a little bit confused.

15. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Not yet 3,3 is the latest,awaiting new build.*puppy*

16. zord

zord Registered Member

I have a problem the program isn't protecting if there are Polish diacritics in the user name.
    Can fix it somehow ?

17. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

That's odd. Are you sure that you already have version 3.3? We hope to get 3.4 out soon.

18. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I'll pass this on to the developers. Probably not for this release, but we'll be releasing another version some time in August.

19. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

having strange problems after reinstalling sandboxie. Now Appguard interferes with my sandboxed browser. Surfing the web works fine but when I try to download a file Appguard somehow blocks the popup window from the browser where you can choose where to save the download. The window is not blocked completely but there are no buttons to browse etc...When I lower protection to install mode the download window from my browser works correctly.

The weird thing is as soon as you uninstall apps that had a rule in Appguard and then reinstall the app again to the same location the "old rules" in Appguard seem to have no effect any more.

Also Appguard didn't recognize the Sandboxie Container as a folder when I tried to add it to user space.

Sandboxie is installed in c:\programme(x86)\. That's where Appguard is located as well. I noticed when I added sandboxie to powerapps that Appguard at first got the path correctly (c:\programfiles(x86)...) but when I watched powerapps later the path changed somehow to c:\programfiles\...

I don't know but maybe Appguard has some major language issues when you run an OS that is not english.

When I had Sandboxie on my D drive (d:\programme...) it worked somehow...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: ok just figured out myself. It seems Appguard recognizes if applications are 32bit or 64bit and keeps changing paths to the default location although the app is not installed there. So for me it recognized Sandboxie being a 64bit application and changed the powerapp path to c:\programfiles\ automatically although Sandboxie had been installed to c:\programfiles(x86). So the created rule didn't have any effect. Now installed it to c:\programfiles and it works immediately.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  20. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Why did SBIE install into C:\Program Files (x86)? Did you choose that location as it should be C:\Program Files?

Thanks

21. ellison64

Yeah.Its getting annoying now as the pop occurs everytime i reboot.

Attached Files:

22. Cutting_Edgetech

Is there still an incompatibility issue with Avira AV? I was informed there was a conflict due to AG, and Avira using the same kernel hook method. I believe that was the reason if I remember correctly.

23. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

It looks like you're using 64-bit Windows. There's a known issue with power apps on 64-bit PCs:

On 64-bit systems, Power Applications located in the “Program Files (x86)” directory were not always being recognized as power applications. This defect has been fixed in this release.​
    This will be fixed in 3.4. In the meantime, you may want to install sandboxie exe in another directory.

24. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

This does not make sense (but I certainly believe you)! Would you mind checking the version in the Program and Features Control Panel as well? This is where the program is looking for the version information to compare with the version on our web site.
    Capture.PNG
    When you select AppGuard in the list, you should see the version number in the bottom of the list.

I'm sorry for the anoyance, but we will be releasing 3.4 shortly (in the next few days) and that *should* solve the issue in a couple of ways. First, once installing version 3.4 you should no longer receive the upgrade message related to 3.3, and second when we do come out with a subsequent releases (3.5 and beyond), the 3.4 version has been modified to only notify about upgrades once per release.

25. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

If the incompatibility is due to using the same Kernel hook, then there is nothing that can be done about it on XP.

It should not be an issue on Vista and beyond as Kernel hooks are not used by AppGuard for either of those OSs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.