AppDefend v1.200 Alpha Public Release

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Jason_R0, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

The Windows 2003 problems are to do with the new secure and compact injection method for talking and interacting with the user. There are some slight differences needed between 2000, XP and 2003.

The problems with the GUI stuff not working 100% always is why I had to redesign that aspect, quite random and I could find no work around to some of the problems besides not using the MS code. When you work so early from boot you can't really rely on the documented GUI approach.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

So does this mean it will never be compatible with windows 2003? Or just not at this point in time?

3. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

It should be fixed. I pretty much know where the problem is because I ran into a similar problem with XP (and it still occurs on a very small number of XP boxes), so it will be fixed for sure.

4. farmerlee

Excellent, i was hoping i wouldn't have to return to using xp.

5. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

on 22-December-06
    "(days)" has turned to weeks and now a month.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This is the problem with this program... :(

It's my favorite HIPS, but this...

7. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Of all the truly "Necessary applications" one needs over and above the operating system this is probably a 9.9 on a scale of 1-10. Even though this is true this has to be one of the most neglected type of technology ever created for system security...

This is a serious software technology that does require serious investment both in the capitalization and development aspects.

Perhaps verbal and written encouragement are not backed up by the necessary capital rewards to make it worth serious efforts.:rolleyes:

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I agree with you, but if we have more feedback from Jason...

9. Hermescomputers

I think this is just it. He needs some partners to create and improve this on a timely scale. Perhaps being a one man show is no longer the best policy for him since he will more than likely end up waisting the incredible opportunity he has in such a remarkable product... Momentum does count a great deal in anythings success.

This is a great product that requires a tremendous amount of care and dedication to properly complete. This is an enormous task considering the complexity and scope of capabilities...

I think the guy needs some seriously qualified help before it's too late and some other outfit out paces and outfoxes him...

I would hate to see this product "Ready" but too late...:isay:

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I presume you meant "help" in a technical fashion, rather than the more typical meaning? ;)

I'd agree that communication is a problem - if Jason can't spare the time for a weekly update perhaps he should nominate someone else to do this for him? (one of his private testers perhaps).

11. Hermescomputers

Ha... Not everyone is sleeping at the wheel!:D I meant software Engineers and the likes...

12. topmoxie

topmoxie Registered Member

So this alpha release any good

13. farmerlee

Yeah i'm quite impressed with the improvements over the last version . I've had it running on my desktop with win2000 for quite a while now with no problems. Yes it does have some bugs but nothng major from my experience. My only gripe is i cannot use regdefend alongside it yet.

14. topmoxie

Do our key codes work in this

15. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Yes they should work fine as no changes have occurred. There have also been some changes to the way serials are entered which should provide less problems to the user as it is more forgiving now (ie spaces and other white noise when copying/pasting).

16. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I installed the alpha on 2003 Server and it bluescreened on reboot. (bluescreen only flashed for a second before it rebooted)

17. farmerlee

Yeah i had the same problem a while ago, if you look up the page jason explains why. As yet it doesn't work but hopefully the next release will.

18. buffet

buffet Registered Member

The same reboot BSOD sympton!
    It wont work on my win2k3 server and winxp media center 2005 box of Dell DM501, and not working on winxp prof box of DELL E521C; it seems recent built DELL boxes have drivers issues with this alpha version.
    I have to go back to beta version or Proceessguard registered version.

19. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Yes I agree totally.

Damn, thats a real problem Ghost Security Alpha is a real Ghost when it comes to prevent anything from doing anything, Ghost Alpha is a Ghost in Security :D :D :D

Have this phenomenon too on my logon screen.

Indeed.

Oh Yes, absolutely.

20. topmoxie

21. farmerlee

Well...it does have outbound protection like ssm and ssm calls that feature a basic network firewall.

22. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Yes the network firewall is one thing that works in Alpha and it even shuts System 445 Port! Wow, how does that work?

23. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Most of the latest leaktests work by hijacking or manipulating processes so "system firewall" software like AppDefend, SSM and ProcessGuard can deal with them, in many ways better than most firewalls.

24. buffet

buffet Registered Member

we can not get AppDefend 1.200Alpha version to work on Dell boxes. At first time of installation, after the first reboot, a series of AD popups came and all were well done. All next reboot/start (after a turndown), the box came with BSOD in a fraction of second and loop of restart & BSOD. I had to boot the box into safemode to uninstall AD to have system to work properly.
    The dell box :
    AD1.100beta works well.

Please hlp.

25. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Would it be possible for you to test it without any other HIPS software if you have them installed? It sounds like there may be a rule you added which your system doesn't like too much either. Did you click BLOCK to any of them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.