AppDefend 1.0 vs Safe'n'Sec 2.0

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

What do you think? To me, they seem very similar...

dja2k

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Not tried app defend but SNS seems to be a combination of some regdefend + appdefend.

I've been beta testing SNS for a few months and rather like it. I use SNS with Process Guard.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Yes and no.

AppDefend alerts on all unknown application launches, SnS doesn't alert on a launch, but on post launch activity. SnS does have registry protection. Within the Ghost Security Suite, this is covered by RegDefend. RegDefend has more comprehensive coverage of the registry, while SnS is focused on registry protection predominately defined by current malware activity (creation of autostarts, certain registry edits, etc.). SnS monitors file edits/accesses for certain OS related files. GSS doesn't have this facility. There are a number of other common traits, and many differences between the two products.

For a power user desiring high level, granular control and comprehensive coverage, AppDefend/RegDefend is a good choice. For typical mainstream to advanced users, SnS is an excellent choice. I personally wouldn't install both products - too much overlap to my taste.

I view these apps as targeting two slightly different market segments, although both vendors would probably hope to capture portions of the entire market.

Blue

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I was a beta tester too for SNS 2.0 and ever since the last built came out, I got a blue screen right away after restart and a lot of slowdowns and crashes. I had to uninstall it in the meantime.

Anyway about Appdefend vs SNS, which one would you use when you have PG and KIS 2006 installed? Not to mention either using SNS and removing Regdefend if necessary or installing AppDefend....

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

IMO, I would only try and run one HIPS-type program at any one time.

Therefore if you are using KAV/KIS 2006 beta just enable the Application Guards/Proactive Defense.

Otherwise, custom install KAV/KIS 2006, not selecting the Application Guards and then choose one HIPS program from PG, SNS or AD.

IME, the Proactive Defense in KIS/KAV beta still needs some work and therefore use the KAV AV/Firewall together with one external HIPS program.

Too many HIPS may lead to conflicts at the driver/kernal level and system instabilities, apart from redundancy of features.

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yes I know about not using too many HIPS programs so I am sticking with only one for now. Haven't decided which one yet as the traditional was PG and RD, but now maybe just SNS 2.0 or APPDEFEND.

dja2k

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

One other difference to consider is the cost/registration requirements.

AppDefend has a once-off payment and can be purchased with an "Unlimited" licence if you have more than one PC to cover. SnS has no such licence, requires an annual payment and also requires online activation (meaning that if StarForce bites the dust, SnS may become uninstallable). Finally there is apparently a limit on the number of activations, so if you uninstall/reinstall too often, you may have to contact StarForce to explain why you need a new key.

8. BlueZannetti

Paranoid2000 makes a number of valid points, particularly for the multi-PC home user.

As for the activations, unless it has changed, each license can go through 5 activations before you need to renew the key. It's not so much that you have to explain anything to StarForce, but you do need to make the request.

As for which to choose, there are points in favor of either product, but they depend on user expertise and desires.

Blue

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Removed RegDefend and ProcessGuard to install the new Ghost Secuirty Suite beta with AppDefend. It is working fine and no problem here. It is running along side KIS with only Anti-hacker enabled. I allow network access to what AppDefend asks for and let Anti-hacker block what I don't want. Not sure if I want to add SNS 2.0 to the mix. As for Prevx1 that I used before, well don't know if I want to add that either as I gave up on that program for now. Did keep and will keep OA no matter what.

dja2k

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One can also got the route of not making a choice. The ghost suite and Sns run fine together if one is so inclined. True there is overlap, but they do also cover some different things.

Pete

11. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Drop the KIS suite again and installed just KAV. I then installed Safe'nSec 2 with AppDefend and they are working fine together. No problem as of yet. I am now using KAV beta built 242 + L'n'S 2.05p2 + Ghost Security Suite Beta 1.110 + Safe'n'Sec 2.0.725 Update Ver 6 with no problems.

dja2k

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Anyone know what options you can trun off in Safe'n'Sec 2.0 to give control to AppDefend and RegDefend in reguards to the previous post saying Safe'n'Sec covers some area that AppDefend\RegDefend doesn't?

dja2k

13. Peter2150

I just turned off Network Activity in SnS and let it go at that.

Pete

14. BlueZannetti

In terms of gross activity, you can select/deselect by general area (File System Activity, System Registry Activity, Process Interaction, Network Activity, or System API Calls) or you can adjust any of the individual rules.

Blue

15. Peter2150

You know it isn't really fair to be comparing these to products at this point. Safe'n'Sec 2.0 is the 2nd full release of SnS and Appdefend is only at the 1st beta. Just wait a while before judging.

16. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I already know about the option that can be turned off individually in Safe'n'sec and well I have a key for that one and also have paid versions of regdefend and appdefend.

dja2k

17. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Turned off System Registry Activity, Process Interaction, and Network Activity for now until I fully customize appdefend and regdefend. Anyways, I might think the registry pertection in RegDefend is better and AppDefend can control the process interaction well. I left the other two options (System API Control and File System Activity) on in Safe'N'Sec which I think aren't covered in the ghost security suite, might be wrong though. Found out the hard way to turn of process interaction until my system crashed using just firefox and couldn't get into windows in normal nor safemode, but did see a popup from safe'n'sec before the screen totally freezed. Figured safe'n'sec cause the problem though.

dja2k

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.