AOMEI Backupper & AOMEI Partition Assistant

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Masterblaster, Mar 18, 2014.

1. peterk62

peterk62 Registered Member

Am I missing something or is it not possible to delete old images from the AOMEI Backupper GUI in the free version? I can see in the "advanced properties" view that I have created several full and incremental backups but I don't see any way to purge old backups that I don't want to keep.

2. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

There were more than a couple of promo's and discounts of Aomei Backupper / Aomei Partition Assistant Pro but just disregarded it. It seems to be a good alternative to the Macrium / Paragon freeware. Has there been a review done here for Aomei?

3. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

AOMEI Backupper 2.2

• Added PXE boot tool: start up multiple client machines within LAN through the network booting by using AOMEI Windows PE and Linux micro-system or your own personalized bootable image file on a master machine for system maintenance. [free edition only supports for 2 client PCs]

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Strange, the Website AOEMEITECH says version is still 2.1.0 ?

5. MerleOne

Oups, that just changed ! Thanks for the update.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  6. snippits

snippits Registered Member

Found a bug in 2.2 standard free, and it has been reported to tech support.

On start up of Windows 7 64 bit, wireless icon in system tray has spinning circle for extended period. If you click on the wireless icon, the system freezes. The fix is to disable AOMEI task scheduler service in system services(services.msc), and the wireless icon goes back to normal operation.

7. MerleOne

Good to know, thanks. Is it just an impression but I find V 2.2 to be slightly slower when performing incrementals ?

8. appster

appster Registered Member

That seems to be the case, but at least the free version of AOMEI Backupper provides for differentials + incrementals, whereas the free version of Macrium Reflect doesn't provide either!

9. MerleOne

Indeed, and it's a big plus ! Besides, I find it quite reliable.

10. appster

Same here. Restores haven't failed me so far, but I haven't done one since I've been using Rollback XP! :doubt:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I removed Backupper a couple of months ago. It used to take very long to back up. Drive Snapshot is faster. Maybe I'll try Backupper again if becomes fast.

12. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

If you are looking for faster backup/restore, look at Drive Snapshot and Acronis no further.

13. MerleOne

Actually one of the fastest imaging software so far is Casper, but it takes quickly a lot of space on the destination drive.

14. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Maybe because of the lower compression level

15. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

this is a good point. Drive snapshot and Acronis are fast and at the same time, the sizes of the image are small (i.e., when you choose high compression).

16. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Registered Member

I use AOMEI Backupper and I find it quite fast.
    Here is a speed comparison I recently read https://www.raymond.cc/blog/10-comm...-features-and-backuprestore-speed-comparison/
    These comments were in the the article.

The Imaging Backup and Restore Results
    Aomei Backupper was impressive in its performance, winning two timed tests and being above average for most others.
    There are two clear winners for the free backup solutions. Aomei Backupper was the fastest to create full backups, EaseUS Todo Free was the fastest for incremental backups but AOMEI was much faster to restore either type of backup. Macrium Reflect Free also performs quite well but loses the ability to run incremental and differential backups. Active@ Lite is strange because it can backup your Windows drive quickly but cannot restore it because there is no boot media available in the free version. Both Acronis based applications performed backups similar to the full True Image but weirdly both took twice as long at restoration.

Overall Summary:
    AOMEI Backupper excelled in all tests bar none. When you consider its features compared to other free backup software, and the fact it’s free for personal and commercial use, Backupper is really worth looking at. Although it never won any of the main tests, we have to commend Acronis True Image for producing consistently strong results in all tests while showing no real weaknesses.
    Both Macrium Reflect and ShadowProtect were also strong but each had a weakness in at least one area. EaseUs Todo Backup was good at backup speed but slower at restoration while AX64 was generally fast with its no frills ease of use philosophy. The higher compression and portability of Drive Snapshot makes it useful as a backup and restore from anywhere type of tool.
    Obviously these tests are only one part of how well a particular backup software works, testing for other factors such as reliability and stability are simply not possible unless a program is tested in multiple scenarios over a period of weeks or months. But one thing you wouldn’t want from your backup software is for it to work inefficiently, because don’t forget, these results will be magnified the more data you are backing up or restoring.

17. MerleOne

Maybe but also because many temp files are staying within the destination folder, probably used for further images.

18. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I just gave Aomei Backupper, version 2.01, a thorough workout recently and it came through shining. I bought a Thinkpad X61 tablet last month. I removed the hard drive it came with and put in a blank 160gb disk. First I cloned the Xp tablet partition and data partition from the drive of an X41 tablet. After the clone, Xp booted without any tweaking and all I had to do was change a few drivers after the clone. Then I removed that disk and put in a blank hard drive and set up Windows 7 from Lenovo restore media. After I had done that, I removed the disk and put in the disk with Xp on it and cloned the Windows 7 partition onto it. I put it back in and I did have to use a Windows 7 repair disk to get it to boot but that wasn't unexpected because I cloned the partition to a different area of the disk. Then I took the original disk that came with the X61 that had a Windows Vista restore partition and restored the original Vista Business system that came with it. I cloned it to a smaller partition on the 160gb disk and, whoopee, it booted without me having to use a repair CD. So with Backupper, I constructed a triple boot system of XP, Vista and Windows 7 and I only had to do a boot repair once. That is good, really good. Cloning to another disk, especially for multiboot setups is where boot failure is most likely to happen and 2 out of 3 is a really good score. I was really impressed when I cloned to a smaller partition and it booted the first time.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Yeah I'm using Drive Snapshot. Actually liked Backupper a lot. I had decided to use as the main backup option and keep Drive Snapshot as a second backup option. Backupper was very simple to use and offered WinPE as boot option with very low download size. But when I actually started to use the backup, oh my! It would take very long. Also very long to restore. And this was only for the system drive which was about 17 GB. So that was the end of Backupper for me. It was a bad experience that keeps me from trying out Backupper any more.:(

20. MerleOne

Strange, for me DS ans AOMEI B have almost the same speed on several PCs. Did you activate high compression by chance ? Try also disabling VSS in AOMEI, should you want to try again.

21. appster

As someone who has tried many of the free image backup programs I find AB to be the best. It's very easy to use, has proven to be reliable and has just about every feature I need. Speed-wise it seems on par with most of the other imagers I've tried making full backups, but I find that incremental backups with AB take just about as long to complete as a full backup.

22. MerleOne

I don't agree, on my systems, incremental backups are quite faster than the full backup. Not blazingly faster ok but quite faster, I would say less than half the time.

23. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

When I tried Backupper v1.x about a year ago I also found incrementals/differentials to be slow (as appster says), so maybe AOMEI addressed that issue in v2.x?

24. MerleOne

Anyway, I find it much faster than Easeus TodoBackup latest version where incrementals are 4times the duration of the full image...

25. manolito

manolito Registered Member

This definitely true, even for the latest version. Have a look here plus the following 2 posts:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...omei-partition-assistant.361543/#post-2352237

Cheers
    manolito

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.