AOL automatic updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by daaaaaaaag, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daaaaaaaag

daaaaaaaag Registered Member

Hi all,

How can one stop AOL 4.0 automatic updates with firewall settings?

VisNetic Firewall rules -or- another firewall (hardware or not that will do the job)

Please help!

Thanks for any and all help.

Good Day,
    d:^)

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Just to be sure what you mean here... You are running an old version of AOL (v4.0) correct? What updates are you talking about? The ones that AOL does when you sign off / exit AOL? The ones that often prevent you from disconnecting quickly as you have to wait for them to finish?

If you mean those updates, then the answer is - You can't stop them. This all occurs within the single executable that is AOL, so it's not like you could block some separate updater program. Also, it all happens using the same ports that AOL uses for everything else it communicates to your PC, so there isn't anything to block.

So, were those the updates you were talking about?

3. daaaaaaaag

daaaaaaaag Registered Member

Yes you are correct on everything, and those are the updates I'm talking about.

Thank you for your help.

I'll just keep unplugging the phone line when I sign-off.

You've cleared up alot for me. I use VisNetic Firewall and I was wonderfuling why, after totally disabling their dial-up adapter, info and a conection was still going on.

Thanks again

Later,
    d:^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.