Anything to augment Vista UAC?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Gullible Jones, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Because Win2k doesn't seem to like my hardware, I've reinstalled Vista from the DVD that came with my laptop. The default security setup seems pretty good, between Windows Defender, UAC, and Windows Firewall; but I've heard of some ugly holes in the way UAC works, and was wondering if there's any software that can prevent those holes from being exploited... Anything that can force programs to obey UAC, or catch attempts to root my system that UAC doesn't?

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you be more specific about "holes" in UAC? Although I have heard that it's possible to bypass I've not heard of any malware in the wild that can do it.

I haven't heard of a way to make UAC stronger, but of course there are many other ways to protect Windows Vista. I would recommend adding at least antivirus to your current setup. I don't think you can rely on Windows Defender for virus protection.

3. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

Just tossing in my 2 cents, add something like Prevx- light and works.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

add in some realtime protection and make sure your software is up to date using a tool such as Secunia PSI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.