Anything else i can add?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bio-Hazard, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I would like to know is there anything i can add to this set up or change?

REALTIME:
    Online Armor v2 with firewall (beta), NOD32 2.7, Superantispyware Pro, Prevx1 (expert mode), SSM 2.4 (trial)

ON DEMAND:
    AVG Antispyware 7.5 (free), A-Squared (free), RootkiUnhooker

BROWSER:
    Firefox with no-scripts,adblock plus, cookiesafe, netcraft toolbar, AI Roboform toolbar. Used with DefenseWall 1.74 and PowerShadow. I use IE7 onlu for few things.

OTHERS:
    Spywareblaster, Tiny watcher, ProcessExplorer, TCPview, xp-antispy, MRU-blaster, EULAlyzer, ERUNT, CCleaner, Eraser, Truecrypt

BACK UP:
    Acronis True Image 10

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

If you like testing new Software like me, a nice application would be FD ISR. It saves my bacon a few times already.:p

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Here two things you could add:

-PeerGuardian
    -HOSTS file (optionally install HostsMan or similar)

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I would choose between SSM and Prevx1. Since you use a sandbox, you'd be just as good.

5. Bio-Hazard

I have just started using SSM so i am going to keep it for 30 days and see how things go. I like Prevx1, i have it on expert mode and it seems to work fine.

FD ISR how close is it to Acronis True Image?

Thanks everyone for their comments.

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Antarctica being the resident proponant for FD-ISR as you are, which version would you suggest to members who decide to make that choice. Is there a version perhaps more easy on the conscience as little to none issues/conflicts or would you suggest going with the flow of the latest releases. I'm speaking strickly from an XP Pro only user perspective here.

7. Antarctica

Ciderman77, FD ISR is totally different from ATI
    FDISR is a System Recovery software. It means that you can recover your system partition in no time by rebooting your computer.It is of course much faster than restoring an image of your Image Backup software.

In order to make that, FDISR uses two snapshots of your actual drive
    During the installation, FD ISR creates the primary snapshot or your work snapshot for daily use.
    Then you create the secondary snapshot after the installation which is your rollback snapshot.

If something goes wrong with your primary snapshot, like trying new software that messed up your system,then you reboot your computer, press F1 key when you see the splash screen from FD ISR and you select "reboot" in your secondary snapshot.
    That's it.:)

EASTER.2010, There is always the possibility of conflicts but as for myself I have been using the latest version (173) with WinXP without any problems for a couple of month now.

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Antarctica

I take it you wouldn't want to install FD-ISR on a loaded drive right? I mean it will need enough hard drive area to store a pair of snapshots right? Especially if that drive is fairly well consumed with programs. It's probably an elementary question but needs mentioned given my limited know-how of these systems. When i finally get around to installing and setting my new 250 GB fresh there will be ample enough room for the kitchen sink.

Meantime whats the chances of installing it to a nearly full drive but configuring it to storing to a dual alternate D:\ drive. Maybe that won't work either because it's FAT32 with 98.

9. Antarctica

EASTER.2010,

The problem with FD ISR is that it takes lots of space. Your secondary image is a exact copy of your primary image!
    The best way is having a second external (or internal) Drive to store your secondary and archive snapshot.

You could always check on Raxco site, I am not sure if it works with Win 98 FAT32.:oops:

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Good enough. I'll hunt around for a secondary disk large enough to compensate for the main unit's pair of snapshots, then it should be ok.

I hear nothing but high favor of that program and now i can see why.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

something like shadow protect desktop could be more practical thou.
    lodore

12. Antarctica

ShadowProtect is good but if I remember correctly it doesn't have the flexibility of FD ISR.

13. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

you really need more?

i only use Nod32+Nat+McAfee Site Advisor plus and my brain, never get infect

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Its not so much a matter of malware protection anymore as some real safeguard prevention against microsoft's pitiful system design that comes with no way for real recovery. What a shame M$ is so lousy when they could make a real following for themselves if they only had the heart. Kind of reminds you of the Wizard of Oz doesn't it. "If i only had a heart"

Oh yeah, i forgot, if they did perfect their O/S there would be no jobs for soft developers of these type systems. Guess they do a service after all no matter how hard on the nerves.

15. Bio-Hazard

Sounds good, it would make things easier. So then Acronis True Image could be used as back up to FDISR. You said that it takes lot of space. HOw much roughly? I guess it depends on your how big is your drives. I will definately give FDISR a go. Thanks!!:thumb:

Kristian

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2007
  16. Bio-Hazard

I want to cover all aspect on my system. You are right that using your brain and using few security programs you can manage easily...sometimes it is not enough.That set up works for you , but i am bit more paranoid.o_O Easter.2010 do also have a point.

17. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

SSM or PrevX is sufficient, both is an overkill (with DefenseWall).

I use SSM-free with DW (although I have a SSM-full license).

Regards K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.