Anyone notice that Outlook is extremely slow after Nod32 install?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by sammyc53, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammyc53

sammyc53 Registered Member

Hello,

New here.

All this week, I have been installing and testing NOD32 Bus. Edition 3.0 to some test machines and server. It has been great, love the product, and I love the admin console!

However, I went to go install the client on a production machine. (Mine).

I 'NoNav'd and WinSock repaired the heck out of it to get rid of SAV 9. It's gone - I promise.

Installed nod32, worked great.

Until I started opening Outlook - Outlook is SOOOO slow right now, I can't even type an email. Switching between folders takes forever. Even just opening a menu.

I am not using the security suite. I am using just the normal AntiVirus, which does have Outlook Protection. If you open Outlook's Add-In Manager, you will see it there. I am not using POP, I am using Outlook with an Exchange Server, and the connection is HTTPs/SSL.

Things to know:
    I never had this problem with the SAV9 Outlook Pluggin.
    It's a insanely fast PC.

Most Importantly, if I use the Outlook Add-In Manger to temporarily disable the NOD32 Pluggin, OUTLOOK WILL WORK GREAT! I don't even have to re-start outlook. As soon I re-enable it, outlook is worthless again.

I have had a long email chain with esot already, but it has gone nowhere, they don't seem to understand where the problem is. Perhaps I am not explaining it clear enough to them. But it's very clear to me.

Esot's reccomendated path - to just leave the pluggin disabled.
    - Surprised to hear that from a security vendor.

Any ideas? I would like to try to re-register the DLLs associated with the outlook pluggin, but eset doesn't know which ones there are.

2. sammyc53

sammyc53 Registered Member

Actually I just talked to a bunch of Exchange Admins. They all contended that the Outlook pluggins are redundant if you have proper file level scanning on the desktop, and proper database scanning on the exchange server.

I think I will just disable the pluggin and not worry about it. You learn something new everyday :)

3. Knot2Brite

Knot2Brite Registered Member

With NOD32 3.0 Outlook was very slow.

I uninstalled 3.0 and reinstalled 2.7 and Outlook is normal speed.

Email chain with tech support went nowhere.

FWIW

4. mps_surcouf

mps_surcouf Registered Member

Same here
    Too slow for real use. I keep all my mail for 3 years so it may be that the scan read messages was causing the main issue.

I disabled NOD32 scanning of incoming outgoing and read messages in our config file for the network.
    We scan at the gateway anyway.

Mike

5. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Hello,

Just 1 question : do you use some antispyware like spyblaster, in addition to spybot for example, with vaccination activated ?

Maybe that's not the solution, but ,on one of my PC*, I noticed that when vaccination was activated (e.g. huge list of web URL stored un registry), Outlook XP was very very slow, when typing an html form mail (typically one character by second)...

Without any change in NOD32, I decided to not vaccinate my PC (e.g. not to protect using spyblaster and spybot vaccination feature, e.g. no web URL in registry) then everything were OK...

Regards

PS : *My configuration : IE7, Outlook XP, Win XP Pro SP2, NOD32 3.0.462 FR - Spyblaster / Spybot

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.