Anyone know where to get MS Office cheap?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ejr, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I uninstalled my old Office XP the other day and when I went to reisntall, I could not find my certificate of authenticity. Calls to microsoft as well as my PC manufacturer were no good. So I am left with having to purchase it (again). I also cannot use Open Office as I have software that must interface with MS Word that does not inteface with Open Office.

I am running a trial of MS Office 2007. I don't like it. I am eithe looking ot go back to Office XP or Office 2003.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal?

One caveat: the store must have a phone number. I will not buy from a site that is "on-line only".

Thanks in advance!

2. greencoconut

greencoconut Registered Member

compare prices at ebay,cheapsoftware.com, buycheapsoftware.com, pricewatch.com

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

4. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

No phone #,no reviews,no thank's.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I just read their mumbo jumbo about OEM vs retail. I would stay away like the plaque. Basically if you buy from them, and it say won't activate, when you call microsoft, they will tell you to get support from the computer vendor.
    You'd be out of luck.

You have very different rights with OEM vs Retail, and don't think MS doesn't try to enforce them.

In this case your let down, is really from the computer manufacturer

Pete

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Why can't you use Open Office?
    Mrk

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

There's SIW and Belarc Advisor and many more i think who can unhide your serials,license numbers etc.at your rig.

huupi

8. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I use a database to store resumes. This database is MS Access based. It stroes candidates names, addresses, phone, resume, salary history, notes, etc. It indexes these resumes and permits me to do boolean searches on key words contained in the resumes. I can then use the software to also email these resumes to my clients.

This MS Acces database needs to see the resume in MS Word format. It is not compatible with open office. That's the only reason. I actually love the open office program!

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You can save open office documents in the ms office format...
    Mrk

10. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Oh, I know. I love the program. I reccomend it to most everyone. The problem is not with the format of the documents, but with the program itself.

My MS Access based database uses MS WORD. It uses MS WORD to open MS Word documents stored within it. I cannot get this database to recognize open office so that it will use open office to open the MS WORD documents stored within it.

However, I do appreciate your input as well as your attempt to save me the $150 I am going to have to spend on office. Thank you very much.

11. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Thank you for this, they both look like neat utilities.

I do have a question though. Can either of these programs uncover a license key for a product that I have uninstalled?

I uninstalled MS OFFICE. As I couldn't get the product to reinstall without the authenticity code, I went ahead and downloaded a trial version of MS OFFICE 2007 (which I don't like).

So presently, I have Office 2007 on my system. The program I ininstalled was MS Office XP, Small Business 2002.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.