Anyone know if you can get win 7 RTM from microsoft

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by winterlord, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

anyone know if there is a safe way to obtain windows 7 RTM from microsoft without having a technet subscription? i have windows 7 RC but figured i would look around and see if theres any safe ways to get windows rtm.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

winterlord, the only legitimate download sites for Windows 7 RTM are MSDN and TechNet. Re: The Windows Blog. Any other site would be unsafe.

3. winterlord

yes i understand that. guess i'll have to check them out. hav'nt yet looked into weather or not there giving it to public or just tech net. rolly the latter. just wonderin if anyone knew

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

winterlord, this is the current Availability Chart detailing releases to specific audiences. Consumers won't see Win 7 RTM until October 22nd.

5. winterlord

good chart. well laid out was'nt aware they had one yet

thanks

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

winterlord, you're welcome! Take care.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

There is nothing unsafe from getting it elsewhere, it just has to match MD5/SHA1 checksum. Actually, you can find download by putting checksum to Google.
    As long as you do not use any crack, it is not ilegal, since you do not violate copyright and you can keep trialing it for 120 days until it is available for purchase.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

TOMxEU, I was not referring to Windows 7 RC, only to Windows 7 RTM (Release to Manufacturing). If one obtains Windows 7 RTM, without subscribing to MSDN and/or Tech Net, it's an illegal copy. Case in point: Windows 7 RTM Download Leaked – Untouched ISO.

AFAIK, the above two are the only sources where Windows 7 RTM can be legally obtained from, until October 22nd, when the OS is scheduled to be released to the General Public. If one gets a copy of Windows 7 RTM from any other source, it is unsafe to use IMO.

Regarding the usage of Windows 7 RC, you will get a 2 week notice of expiration, prior to March 1, 2010, and from that day forward, Win 7 RC will shut down every 2 hours, besides being inoperative by June 1st, 2010. Source: Get Windows 7: Windows 7 RC.

9. winterlord

yea i plan on buying retail as soon as it comes out. win 7 is well worth the purchase. but thanks for the info tom

10. winterlord

does anyone happen to know a reputable place to order online in a country that is still offering the pre-sales of windows 7?

i missed the pre-order of MS here in the us by one day ;( thought bought paying a little extra (but still saving some) from another country that still has promo. but i dont trust any foriegn etailers since i know none reputable but newegg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.