anyone know how to make pdfxchange smoother scrolling

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

it scrolls very choppy and loads in sections kind of as i scroll and it does this even on a VERY current system with 16gb of ram and a intel oc'ed to 4.5 the crolling is just not smooth like foxit. i have been liking the free nitro but it just does not render properly a lot of times (more times than it actually renders properly lol) otherwise i like it. lately foxit has been giving me issues in printing pages properly so im back to trying pdfxchange and ive always liked it but never the way it loads pages and its memory usage. i have it set to use a max of 100mb and adding more does not help the choppy loading actually its the same even if i go down to 50mb or set to auto (uses a CRAZY amount when set to auto)

i also like sumatra a lot but i need something i can add text and edit with most of the time so as nice and small / fast as it is it doesnt do me much good besides reading them, though i do use it on my netbook.

so i though maybe a setting im missing like a "smooth scroll" or similar etc..otherwise ill stay with foxit again for now.

thanks

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i dont know what to tell you.

for me it is working flawlessly here, i use the portable version.

i especially chose PDX-Xchange because it had the smoothest scrolling and the fastest rendering of the 5 or 6 different readers i tried.

3. zfactor

i agree on the speed but i just dont know why its so choppy for me..i tried both the portable and the installed versions.

4. moontan

i don't know if this can help:

have you tried playing with the Performance and Rendering options?

5. zfactor

yeah i messed with the rendering options as much as is available anyway and the performance same thing. basically what happens is when scrolling down a page it will load in blocks kind of about id guess 2-3" blocks instead of almost pre-loading the page like foxit does where when you scroll down the page is not being rendered. with pdfxc it seems to be rendering the page as im scrolling in a way. its my fav pdf app but performance is just bad it seems compared to others which is why i always have moved away from it i just wish by now they would have worked on these types of things.

edit: i have found the way to eliminate this BUT it does slow down the app some (as it says it would) but checking use synchronous mode of page rendering fixes this issue. using this is loads the pages in a similar way to fox it. but as i said it does slow down the application some.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  6. zfactor

i also reduced the threads used by the pdfx to 4 threads instead of auto or 8 and its WAY FASTER NOW whats odd is there should be 0 slowdown at all on this system with the specs of it and it can run pretty much game at max settings.

7. moontan

i am glad you re all sorted out m8! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.