Anyone know anything about Bonjour Service?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chip718, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip718

chip718 Registered Member

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a program called Bonjour Service. I realized it was on my system today when I got a popup from my firewall. I did some searching around and I see that it is a Apple program, so I am assuming it is from iTunes. Does anyone know if it is a safe program or not? It is not showing up in either msconfig, or Codestuff starter.

I also see that it is in my HiJackthis report:

O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

Thanks for any info.

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Here is some information on this Forum about this "Bonjour Service" It seems this service could get installed without your knowing.

http://forums.extensis.com/jforum/posts/list/501.page

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello. :)

It is a network/LAN lookup service. It provides a zero configuration protocol that 2 or more iTunes on a network can use to talk to each other, so it could be a possible risk. But if you have a network and uninstall Bonjour, you will be unable to listen to music on another computer using iTunes. :)It is now shipped with all apple/mcintosh/adobe software, for "convenience" of interoperability. I had Photoshop CS3 installed a week ago and it also installed Bonjour service. I managed to locate it in the services, actually I stopped this service (take a look at screenshot, the one with weird name) and Bonjour was gone.

Untitled.png

This service was not there before Photoshop installation, so the solution was pretty simple (for me). Have some more read about Bonjour here. If you want to completely uninstall it, you may want to take a look here.

Cheers. :thumb:

4. chip718

Thanks. I went in to Services an it was set to "Automatic" I stopped it, but it hasnt changed to "disabled". It still says "Automatic"

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Right-click it, select 'properties', and from a drop-down menu on 'general' tab select 'disable'. Restart computer.

Cheers. :)

6. chip718

AH! I got. Thanks a lot.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

You're most welcome.
    Bonjour... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.