Anyone install .NET Framework 4 Client Profile x86 on Vista?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I installed this on my mom's computer with Windows XP. The download was only 28.8MB but when it installed it ballooned to 250MB. As if that wasn't bad enough, the machine started hanging at startup. It would eventually start but I had to let it sit for about five minutes. I uninstalled it and everything went back to normal.

I have the same update available on my Vista machine but I'm pretty leery of installing it. It says the download is 28.8MB but it doesn't say what the actual space requirement is. Right now I have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and it only shows it's using 27.8MB in Programs & Features. Has anyone actually installed this update on Vista and if so how much space does it use? Did you have any trouble after installing?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Showing up as 120mb here on Vista,no adverse impact upon the system though.

3. allizomeniz

Thanks andyman35. I could be mistaken about the 250MB. I just remember it was a lot more than 28.8. :)

4. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

The drag at initial reboot after install of dot net is normal as well as you have found out an annoyance. Normally it should not last more than about three to five minutes to do it's optimizing thing then those symptoms are done until the next update

5. allizomeniz

I wasn't really clear in my initial post. The drag happened every time I restarted. At first I thought a couple of restarts at the most would clear it up but it didn't. I restarted like 5 or 6 times before finally uninstalling.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Did you wait long enough for it to do all it's optimizing? Perhaps you rebooted too quickly, and it just kept picking up where it left off last boot, and never had a chance to complete....

7. allizomeniz

I let it finish each time. The desktop loads, but a lot of things won't load, like the Avast mail shield and Add/Remove Programs. I can get the Add/Remove window open but the list won't populate until it's done doing it's thing. When the list finally populates and the mail shield loads then I know it's ready.

I tried reinstalling it today and got the exact same result. It doesn't prompt for restart when it installs, it just says Finish or Close I can't remember which, but never Restart. So I just close everything out and restart. I tried shutting down and doing a hard boot but it didn't matter. I've installed four other updates yesterday & today, three of which didn't prompt for Restart and they worked okay so I don't think that's an issue.

I installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 yesterday and today there were a bunch of related patches to install. I got most of them today and I'm gonna get the rest tomorrow, maybe that will make a difference. .NET Framework 4 is only Optional for XP so if worse comes to worse I'll just chuck it. :D

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Installation size will depend on previous versions of .net installed.
    If you have a previous version of .net installed, the next version will only install the new components required as each new version builds on top of the previous (apart from .net 1/1.1).

9. allizomeniz

Well I bit the bullet and installed on Vista, 120MB. All went smoothly. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.