anyone here running kis beta 8 yet??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

just curious how well its working for you. i have yet to play with 8 very much. its installed on a test system but ive had little time to really dig into it.. are there any major bugs or anything that would make you not install it on a reg machine at this point?? lol just getting antsy i guess...

2. AshG

AshG Registered Member

Agreed, I'm interested in other peoples' experiences as well. Most specifically, does it still use the ObjectID file tagging that turns CheckDisk into a massively long endeavor?

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I tried previous beta kav 8.0.0.313 RC1 last week just to check how things were going on and didn't see any problems/conflicts interacting with the programs i have installed. One reason could have been that i only installed the File-av & Web-av modules.. ;)

Actually they released the newer v.8.0.0.322 RC1 a while ago :cool:

@AshG,
    Just take a look at their beta forum.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no that issue has been fixed.

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

And it was always blown out of all proportion!:-how often do most users run chkdsk??:-users must be having other serious probs with a system if you or anybody else is having to run it on a reg basis

6. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Interesting read
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=59342

7. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I have it running for a while now.
    Works great for me

8. Nike_P

Nike_P Registered Member

is kav8 just as light as it was previous version?
    and how about improving the detection-rate from ver7 to v8 is there any changes?

9. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

I have tried KIS (284, 320, 322) and KAV 320 so far.
    Experienced only one bug with KAV 320, if I set "Do not monitor application activity", Online Armor was hanging if I wanted to access settings from tray.

First Full Scan takes about 50 min (~ 75 GB and ~ 475000 files) which is about half as long as KIS 7 requires. :thumb:

To check the detection rate I used a small sample with 633 files.
    KIS 6 and 7 detected always 626, KIS 8 beta 628. o_O

Problems on my system like Autoruns hangs or a slight delay in opening files with KIS 7 are not present with KIS/KAV 8 anymore. :thumb:

With KAV 8 it is really too bad that the Activity Filtering module, which is part of the new System firewall, is not present, KIS exclusive. :thumbd:

In KAV is only the PDM, like you can see here:

kav2009beta320.png

Activity Filtering is basically a rule based HIPS which controls access to files and registry settings for four different groups of application (Trusted, Low Restricted, High Restricted and Untrusted)
    The ruleset is open, you can add rules as you like.
    The firewall is now integrated into this new schema (networks)

Applications.png

All in all KIS 8 looks quite good by now.

Cheers

10. zfactor

so i guess it seems everyone thinks its def faster than ver 7?? i think ill give it a go. and isnt this the rc1(822 i mean) ?? so correct me if im wrong but that means the final should not be to far away??

also are all modules working as they should... nothing missing from 822 now??

11. zfactor

well..

first off uses more ram than before. not a whole lot but it is more.

i did not enable interactive mode during install and i do not see anywhere to do that now so i guess i have to reinstall.. sucks. unless im wrong

love the new firewall.... options i really wanted from before that were not there are now.. when i want to simply set apps to allow or deny instead of rules it is there. nice

dont like the new gui as much. things feel buried to me. like i have to dig to find them. there was depth to the menu's before but not like this. ill get used to it but imo not so nice for the beginner...

system is WAY MORE responsive. not that 7 was terrible but heck this feels like it did when i had nod 2.7 installed!!! awesome

web browsing is much much faster now.. im going to go back and reinstall without the anti banner thing since i turned it off anyway before i dont see a way to disable it without throwing a flag then i get the system not protected message.. annoying.. before if i wanted to turn something off i just unchecked it.. now it makes a big deal out of it..

ill post more as i go but so far i like it far better than 7...

12. zfactor

well a few bugs i see already.. the taskbar icon is not animated even though i have it set to be??

having a issue with outlook and the mailbox it does not want to open now.. starts up then shuts down this was fine before??

also who does not install the content filtering?? does anyone really use that at all?? i think ill just kill the whole thing...

again i have to say this is so much faster than previous its soooooo nice.... man i cant wait for this to be final now..

will i be able to use my 7 keys for 8?? i hope so since i have a ton of them i bought for 2 years..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  13. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

It is look closer

Did you post at the regular bugthread on the Kaspersky forum?

I do

Yes it does

14. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

for me, I find it slow.

15. zfactor

one HUGE THING I NOTICE: i have a 20/20 connection here 20 up 20 down.. it crazy fast (fios) and with kis 7 if i had say 4 or 5 files downloading at once i saw maybe 150-200 max kbs for each one.. now with kis8 im seeing anywhere between 500-1300+ for each one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow this is so nice... i really didnt think it was kis 7 slowing it down.. wow i never even saw these download speeds with avira or nod...

16. zfactor

and no there is no animation on the "K" anymore except for updates. no file flashing or yellow etc.. it does nothing all i see is the globe

17. zfactor

another issue i see (ill report on the beta forum as well) is that it scans my programs at startup whether i have that turned on or off.. i see the kas box pop up when i start any program.. i dont like that....

18. Macstorm

Then, wait a little for the fix(es) ;)

19. zfactor

oh i know they will fix it .. just wanted to let people here know before they decided to try it.. so far other than the above it is working great. also i reinstalled 7 then uninstalled 7 then reinstalled 8 and now the outlook issue is gone??!! the startup scan of programs is still there though

20. Macstorm

well i've couldn't found an option to disable it when i tested kav, btw..

21. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I *think* heuristic/emulator detection in v8 has improved.
    I'm only basing the above thought on this thread in Kaspersky's Forum: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=64573
    ... "unknown virus 2.exe" detected by v8 but not by v7; implying v8s heuristics are better.

Also v8 has improved suspicious packer detection and multi-layer-packed-files detection

22. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Also firewall was improved a lot.
    When tested now by Matousec it will be a lot higher

23. zfactor

ahh okay... if you set it to scan all files then it does a startup scan no matter if its unchecked or not.. if you do a scan by format or another way it does not do the startup scan..

just upgraded to version .324 now available and still no animated task icon..

and yes on my test system ver 8 324 found things that only avira found before when ran.. so this imo is a very good sign

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I still have a license for KAV 7. Can I use it to install KAV 8 when it's released?

25. Macstorm

Most likely yes but it's still unclear the kav upgrade policy for new v.8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.