anyone heard of Online Armour?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by angarahad, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Actually, so would I :) I'd love to know what's missing from OA. We have about 40-odd pages of ideas for subsequent versions - but another 10 pages or so wouldn't hurt ;-)

Mike

2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Hi Mike.

Not a beta tester, but I have to hand it to your responsiveness to this forum.

Great to see active support.

And always happy to see more Australian companies coming up with good ideas :)

Best of luck with OA.

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Vikorr - why aren't you beta testing it... hundreds of testers and no blue screens yet :)

Mike

4. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Damned that was fast (you beat me to my edit...about a min after posting)

Had been meaning ot check this thread for while. Was reading and seemed like it would be good to beta test, but read that you weren't taking any more beta testers.

5. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

We're not a not a corporate monster yet... I've PM'd you a key, although we can expect a new version in the next hour or so.

Any testers out there still having problems - please let me know if your issue has been fixed by latest releases.

Thanks

Mike

6. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Give it a shot, Vikorr...it'll give us some more good "comparison" note time (and you can compare it to your baby, PrevX - LOL)

7. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

I'm hoping they run happily side by side. I wouldn't say that PrevX was my 'baby' lol. I just understood what it was doing, and it works very well with my security setup.

OA looks like it has very interesting idea's, so I'll definitely give it a shot and let you know what I think :)

edit : mildly amusing to see that the company spelt its product name Online Armor, instead of Online Amour...do you know how many Americans have thought I spell badly :D

Of course, I understand the reasoning for this...I would too if I owned it :)

8. JRCATES

Cool, and I will definitely do the same ;)

(BTW - I had to manually enter the ; and the ) to form my smiley face. Were you able to do yours' with Wilders "Smilies"? I lost my avatar a little earlier as well....had to reload it. Something kinda silly happenin' with my screen here.....)

9. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

You have no idea how hard it is to consistently spell Armor incorrectly ;-)

10. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

y is it better then Msoft Antispywareo_O duz it look for pollymorphic stuff 2? :eek: :eek:

11. JRCATES

LOL....well, this American wasn't too sure o_O

So I just did a little research - it appears that A-R-M-O-R is actually the correct spelling.....A-R-M-O-U-R is the "English" (i.e. - British) version.

Boy, I guess you do learn something new every day... :p

edit: Sorry maddawgz, I was replying to Mike and Vikorr...

12. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Doh...damned touch typing...just goes to show, if you make fun of people re spelling, make sure you spell right ...<sighs> ...armour...not amour

And I often wonder how the americans managed to change the spelling or it, and numerous other words :)

13. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Mike,

I just wanted to say that I think you are doing a fantastic job here for your product and company. Building a comprehensive beta testing environment. Getting the word out. Creating interest and buzz. Providing excellent support and in turning building lots of good will. I hope your launch is very successful. Good luck!

Regards,
    Rich

14. JRCATES

Looking forward to it :D

Will do (fingers crossed hoping nothing to report) ;)

15. JRCATES

Hey Rich, You seem like the beta testing kind of guy....why don't you jump in on this?

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Someone not biased may want to take this one :)

The range of features provided by OA far exceeds that by MS Antispyware. We also made a deliberate effort to support older versions of Windows - unlike MS who want to force upgrade sales.

A couple of reasons why OA is better than MSAS:

- Program Blocker - stops unknown programs running
    - Web Shield - filters any website you visit
    - Mail Shield - Phishing protection for POP3 and IMAP mail accounts
    - DNS Cache Poisoning check - makes sure that DNS records for protected sites aren't tampered with.
    - Support :)

17. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Rich

Appreciate that a lot. Are you going to give it a go, or are you waiting to "test" my credit card payment gateway when it comes online ;-)

Mike

18. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi John,

Actually I am not. More like that turtle we read about. :) But I can certainly appreciate Mike's excitment (I was an entrepeneur many times over in my lifetime), and I want to wish him the best. It's young companies such as Tall Emu, that bring the most value to customers. If I have any reservations at this time, it is that historically it is not viable to run a company that is doing both consulting and building software. Usually, the two do not mix (this is an adage). It will be interesting to see how Tall Emu manages this challenge. In any case, the product seems exciting and I am looking forward to hearing from the beta testers.

I think it is also a good time to open up a distinct forum category so that forum users can easily track IPS software. Right now it is too scattered between different forums.

Cya around John, and let me know what you think.

Regards,
    Rich

19. JRCATES

Regarding what I highlighted in bold above, Mike.....all I saw during set-up using the SCW regarding this was the option to checkmark the box listed next to it. There was nothing asking whether it was a POP3 server, or what the ISP email address was , or anything of the sort. Does it do this automatically, without any user intervention?

20. richrf

richrf Registered Member

lol! I'll let you know how it works. Hopefully, that is the only thing that doesn't, and I get a free pass. :D Best of luck!

Rich

21. JRCATES

Good idea, Rich...where do we get the ball a' rollin?

Will do, Rich, see ya :)

22. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi JR,

Yes, the POP and IMAP "stuff" is implemented as a transparent proxy - any mail client using the POP3 or IMAP ports will use it auto-magically

Mike

23. JRCATES

VERY cool! :D "Auto-MAGICALLY".....I like that!

Gotta love as little "user intervention" as possible :D

24. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

thanks Mike , So like giant which i use ? duz it do the same blocks things from installing like Msoft spyware approve or block?? another aussie here so if its better id rather support Aussie made lol and pass the word MD :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Rather give my money at home then Mr ermmmmmm Gao_O? he has enuff

25. JRCATES

Hey now, blame that on the Brits! That's even according to "Dictionary.com" :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.