Anyone Have Experiences with Norton Rescue CD?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brandonn2010, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I just noticed this while poking around on Softpedia. It is free, and has the option to auto-create the disk or USB for the user, which is nice.

Are its detection rates good? I know it is Norton but it still might be poor. I was looking for something maybe easier for average users to use that I could recommend on my site. Right now I recommend Kaspersky, but I had to put in extra instructions for downloading an image burner and other stuff.

Does it connect to wireless networks automatically as well? I've had trouble finding one that could easily connect to a wireless network, only Bitdefender and Kaspersky.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Norton-Bootable-Recovery-Tool.shtml

EDIT: I just noticed the one review for it said it is NOT free, that it requires a key, so is it free or not?

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

There are better one's. Mainly Bitdefender, kaspersky and Dr web. I used bitdefender recently and it performed great. Kaspersky live cd can take a while to scan. You can also use Hiren's BootCd as well. Here is a little listing of a few. http://livecdlist.com/purpose/windows-antivirus

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Agreed. I've tried the Norton CD and it's slow with few options. Currently I use the Kaspersky Rescue CD which has a number of options, such as a quick scan, registry editor and file manager. It's slow to update, but often the quick scan will catch the bug without updating or I can get the job done with the registry and file tools - highly recommended especially if time is a concern.

5. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

When it comes to treating active infections with a rescue disk, Kaspersky is second to none. Bitdefender and Dr.Web may come close, but there still is a considerable gap between them.

For further reading:

Considering the fact that we are talking about free software, I would definitely go with Kaspersky.

Addendum:

Regarding the Anti-Malware-Test.com link, the removal capabilities of the windows suites and not the rescue cd's were tested. I think Kaspersky's superior rootkit detection ability may not be as strong in the rescue cd as it is in the suite.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  6. Brandonn2010

Alright, I'll stick with Kaspersky. I also noticed on Tech Alert that only Kaspersky and Bitdefender have wireless network support, which explains why they were the only two I could get to work properly with wireless networks. Considering how many people use WiFi, I'm surprised more don't support wireless networking.

Also, is Kaspersky still developing their rescue disk? I noticed on Softpedia, it said the disk had been updated on the 17th, yet on their official website, it said it was released in 2010?

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Not necessarily, we only add such keys if they're confirmed. Therefore the others may have WiFi support, but not tested yet. I currently can't use any of them after TrueCrypt FDE.

From what I remember, some of them like Dr.Web and Windows Defender don't need WiFi support. Dr.Web updates their ISO download daily, and Windows Defender Offline is a program that builds the ISO with latest definitions and engines on Windows.

8. Brandonn2010

Ok, can someone try my steps on my Malware Removal page of my site and tell me if it's simple enough for the average user to figure out? I doubt hardly anyone visits my site, but I just want to know if it is good.

Or should I scrap the whole section and just link to a guide somewhere else, or not include it at all?

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Latest build was released on 3-20-2013, however there was a new ISO released 9-17-2013. It's a larger file so perhaps includes more signatures...?

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=260685

10. AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup Security Expert

Yes Kaspersky updates their Rescue Disk.
    The download I just looked at today 9/24/2013 has files inside the ISO image dated 9/21/2013 and when you run it you should let it connect and update for the latest database rules.

You can watch this video which describes how to create the CD to use it.

How to create the Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 CD

Please visit the Kaspersky site and review the information and then download and burn the ISO image to CD to use on the affected computer.
    Make sure you update the definitions for Kaspersky before doing the actual scan.
    Make sure to also write down what it finds or does as some users have trouble saving and accessing the log afterwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.