Anyone create their own VPN?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by vkidv, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vkidv

vkidv Registered Member

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has anyone here has any experience using hosted servers to create their own VPN for connecting to when on the move?

This is what I am looking into, specifically Amazon AWS or equivalent.

My use case is connecting from insecure networks such as the public WiFi, cellular or hotel ethernet and not necessarily from the same country.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's trivial to create an OpenVPN Access Server instance on AWS. The evaluation license is free, and includes two user licenses. See -http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/cloudmachines.html-.

3. vkidv

vkidv Registered Member

Thanks. I had tried installing OpenVPN myself but then found the AS while searching 'vpn' on the AMI.

Just need the opportunity to test it now. Going to setup a squid server to cache web traffic.

I installed PPPD as an alternative to OpenVPN because I was hoping to use the VPN via Blackberry alas the BB does not support any readily available VPNs, it seems to prefer proprietary Firewall VPNs appliances.

4. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

I am using a SSH-Tunnel to my root-server. I can reach 20mbit/s all the time with a good ping. I prefer it over OpenVPN because I can select the traffic which I want to encrypt.

E.g. I only encrypt:
    Browser
    Mail
    Messengers
    KeePass

but not games, windows update, etc

If you want to buy a cheap SSH-Tunnel or need more information let me know :p

5. vkidv

vkidv Registered Member

Just thought I'd give everyone an update:

You can setup OpenVPN on Amazon Web Services really easily using this tutorial:

http://holgr.com/blog/2009/06/setting-up-openvpn-on-amazons-ec2/

I went a step further and install squid3 for a caching web proxy to cache web content - that way you don't download things all the time from your instance.

If you use a Linux based router, you could set it to use OpenVPN.

This gives me at least a small bit of peace of mind when I am connecting from insecure wifi networks while on the move.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Cool. Thanks for sharing :)

How much are you paying AWS, if I may ask?

Very cool :)

pfSense would be even easier.

Well, you gotta trust Amazon ;)

7. Phractal

Phractal Registered Member

I set up an openvpn server at home. Using the tunnel to securely connect via rdp from my work computer to my home pc.
    Works great!

Pretty easy to set up all the keys and certificates needed.

I would link the guide I used, but its in german so not sure if its of any help here :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.