Anybody use two firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Albinoni, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

This may sound like a dumb question, but but there are people out there who use two antivirus software out there (one realtime and one on demand) now to the question of firewalls, does anybody here use two firewalls or is it really not necessary.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

I imagine there are some that use two software firewalls.

No, it is not necessary or recommended. Similar to running two AV's real time, there is potential for conflict. If you want an extra layer for networking protection, use a router or other hardware device. This has the added benefit of being independent of you system(s).

Regards,

CrazyM

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Albinoni,

I use PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 for my main AV which just so happens to come with a light-weight firewall, however, since it provides no outbound notification, I use ZoneAlarm Free for that support.

In the near future, I am planning to add a NAT/SPI router, and combined with ZA Free for the outbound protection, I can then turn off the Trend Micro firewall - the issue is will I choose to do so!

The gottcha here is that is that shutting down the firewall also shuts down the network virus emergency center/worm protection which is also shutdown when the firewall is turned off - the two features being entangled. I might add here that PC-Cillin is very diligent in notifying the user of Viruses in the Wild outbreaks, and in posting updated definition signatures to defend against such threats - at times the solution arrives before the notice of the outbreak!

Meanwhile, there have been no compatibility problems software-wise between the two software firewalls.

By the time my AV comes due for resubscription I will be exploring different combinations that work as well or better than what I currently employ.

-- Tom

4. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Micro Trend has improved outbound notification in the firewall element of IS2006. Outbound traffic by a program is detected, identified and the user is given the option of denying the connection or creating a specific exception for the program.

It ain't Outpost, but it's a significant improvement.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi gud4u,

So, how does it fair in terms of the stealth tests at: http://scan.sygate.com In other words, is it as good as ZoneAlarm Free at stealthing all of the ports?

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.