Any successful V4 Server Installations?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by k12adm1n, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k12adm1n

k12adm1n Registered Member

I am a K-12 network admin and am installing Nod32 V4 to replace CA ITM for about 300 workstations and about 6 servers.

Apologies if I am beating a dead horse here, but I have gone through the various threads on this forum and understand the general consensus is to use 3.x on servers installations and 4.x workstations.

However, I was curious if there is anyone who is using v4 on either 32 or 64 bit versions of Win2k3 or Win2k8 server without any issues? Any silent minority here? :blink:

I'd like to use v4 throughout the my LAN for consistency, but don't want to be dumb about this either. Eset says v4 works fine on Windows servers, and sells it for this platform.

Interested in specific cases on either side so new admins like myself could make the decision about which version to install.

Eset -- if you're reading this, can we have an official response addressing the concerns of so many admins here re: v4 instability on servers. Reverting to v3 is not a long-term solution we can live with.

Thanks.

Bill

2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

I am running v4 on 4 Windows 2003 servers atm. Planning to install another 3 copies next week on different 2003 servers. One of the currently running server is a Domain Controller which is running fine for months now. Must say it for a SMB company but the server hardware specs are also pretty low. Other servers are only file and application servers where I don't notice any impact either.
    Of course they all run with the proper exclusions and advised configuration settings given by ESET KB.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  3. bjzielinski

bjzielinski Registered Member

Just installed v4 on half dozen servers, most but not all experienced severe issues. They would run fine for about an hour then just slow to a crawl, even on the console. Opening files off network shares would take 15 seconds plus on all clients. Uninstalled v4 and installed v3 (can't do without reboot inbetween, thanks ESET!) and performance greatly improved. Now files open instantly. Have not rolled out v4 to workstations yet so I can't comment on performance of those. Hopefully they will get v4 working properly soon. The interfaces are identical FWIW.

4. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

we've got v4 on all of our servers, with no problems whatsoever. you might want to set NOD32 on server as recommended by ESET

5. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

We've got it on four servers, but on two we have v3. We did have v4 on them all but two hung EVERY night during the backup. Totally unresponsive the next day (not a hardware freeze, but not pinging etc.). So we reverted to V3 on these two.

Jim

PS all identical Dell servers, all running SBS 2003 R2 Premium.

6. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I have v2.7 running on all my servers. They are all running fine & without problems.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I still only do 2.7 on servers. Primary advantage of 3 and 4 are web based protection, and nobody is surfing from the servers.

Especially with SBS servers..since XMON is currently only 2.7..can't put 3 or 4 on them.

8. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

Running v4 on 3 W2K3 servers with no major issues although I did manually follow the Microsoft exclusions KB article for when running AV pacakages on servers.

The only server I have which isn't running v4 is my Exchange mail server which is v2.7 since there isn't (yet) a v4 version of XMON.

~CB

9. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Haven't had any issues with v4 on servers running heavy databases and with a lot of I/O at this point. Only wildcard is the domain controllers which I haven't upgraded yet, but I have Microsoft recommended exclusions and I doubt there will be problems.

10. jrdebug

jrdebug Registered Member

had the best AV last year with NOD32 v3. renewed the company subscription for another year and took the offer of downloading v4. that was the biggest mistake i made.

i immediately upgraded all clients to v4 including the servers. after sometime, my users started complaining of slowness in opening files, even unresponsiveness in double-clicking network objects. unfortunately that time, 4 new users joined and the implementation of the Acctg System was also rolled out. believe me, it was on july that this happened and have been googling since.

automatic updates, acctg software compatibility issues, replaced NIC on the server, reduced services, distributed files in different machines, all in vain!

would you believe, I even emailed ESET support for this and they advised me to make EXCLUSIONS in the server settings. i did and things are still sloooooooooow.

finally yesterday, entered this forum, read around and followed the most logical advise, REVERT TO THE OLDER VERSION. since morning, no sign of slowness. my users were all smiling.

DUDES, take my word for it. ESET NOD32 v4 IS NOT WORTH IT!

Thanks!

11. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

No...

That was the biggest mistake you made.

You're saying you didn't do this from the beginning? Why not?

So, you're saying you didn't do a little research before upgrading your server software, and you're surprised things didn't go smoothly? 10 minutes on this forum would have given you enough information to make a decision that you should NOT just dive in and blindly upgrade everything all at once - not that you should EVER do that.

And if you'd have done your due diligence, your users would have never stopped smiling...

Wrong... it works great on workstations - as long as you enter the recommended exclusions. Just don't install it on servers yet.

Now, if you want to complain about the fact that ESET doesn't have ALL of the recommended exclusion lists HARD-CODED and ENABLED BY DEFAULT AT INSTAL TIME, thats another thing entirely, and I think you'd get nothing but agreement form most of us...

12. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

You mean you enter exclusions for the workstations to in order to run them? I deployed enough V4 on workstations and never did any exclusion except to turn the real-time network scan off (in domains). Never seen a issue with slow response on workstations, but heck I still have to see a lock-up on server to, but I sure have read enough horror stories for them to look out for. (I kinda hope I get it on a less busy server to see what the problem is ^ .^)

And I really don't like the idea that exclusion should be hard-coded, I like to have control on them. It is easy enough to import a .xml configuration within the installation, so you can import the exclusions that way. Perhaps some specific .xml files with exclusions (for different kind of server use) on a KB article would be a nice idea.

13. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Not 'in order to run them', but because it is what MS recommends to insure the proper funtioning of the system.

Again, MS doesn't say the WS won't work without the exclusions, they simply say it is best to exclude them.

These are the recommended exclusions that the OS vendor itself recommends because not excluding them can cause problems with the proper functioning of the OS. I prefer not to second guess the ones who made the software, but my reference to these needing to be hard-coded was that the recommended pre-defined list of exclusions should be available as a simple checkbox option that is enabled by default. You would, of course, be free to uncheck the box and do whatever you want...

Again...

If the OS vendor - in this case MS - says both that it is not necessary to scan the files in question, and that doing so can interfere with the proper functioning of the WS, I would not second guess them myself.

14. dsi-ap

dsi-ap Registered Member

Hi
    So what are the recommended exclusions for server when using ESET v4?

[UPDATE] have spoken to eset techsupport uk and they recommend un-installing version 4 and reloading v3 as there still trying to get tot he bottom whys ervers hang.
    Doesnt help when you have several dozen servers to deal with.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.