Any reason not to start with version 2.7?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ecognito, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecognito

ecognito Registered Member

We are currently using version 2.7 of NOD32 and are very happy with it.

When we did our recent renewal, the supplier said that we should upgrade to version 4 (free upgrade), but could only give vague reasons as to why?

Is there any technical merit in upgrading, or should I save myself the headache and just stick with 2.7?

Thanks.

E.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If you would like to upgrade, upgrade to V3.0.684 rather than V4. This V3 is the best to date. V4.0 is OK, but it will add about 2.5 minutes to the end of your bootup doing a scan. Other folks say the latest V4 is still buggy, but I can't varify because I haven't tried it.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just a very unsubstantial reason - v3/v4 will protect you against many more threats :p

4. FAC73

FAC73 Registered Member

Well, if you use Microsoft Exchange Server then you're stuck with 2.7. No v3/v4 version available AFAIK.

Why should v2.7 give any less protection than v3/v4? I would be slightly concerned if my Exchange Server (Microsoft Small Business Server 2003) is not as well protected as it could be.

Neil

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

V2.7 isn't supported any more.

6. Marcos

Because the engine has been improved in v3/v4. However, it doesn't mean that threats propagating via email will not be detected by v2, in this regard it should provide the same protection as v3/v4.

7. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

Where can I find the documentation to verify this statement please?

Thank you,
    BFG

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Probably at Eset.com

9. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

I'll look around there, but could you narrow it down a little as to where you saw it if you would.

Thank you,
    BFG

10. Marcos

V2 is supported as long as it concerns updates. Discontinuity of v2 updates will be announced a long time in advance.

11. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello Marcos,

Thank you ;)

BFG

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

BFG, Sorry, according to Marcos I was misinformed. :p

13. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello twl845,

No problem at all.

Thank you very much,
    BFG

14. Traduk

Traduk Registered Member

I switched from 2.7 to version 4 and had the pleasure of boot failing at the start screen (WinXPSP3).

This is the first time I have had to crash the machine in nearly two years and the last time was with Version 3.o_O??.

I have gone back to Version 2.7 and will stay with it until licence renewal time and then look around for something else.

If I crashed the machine whilst it was sitting there doing background checks then it is unacceptable. My main machine is top of the range and has fast boot which gets the OS loaded incredibly quickly. I hardly want a facility on a top of the range motherboard crippled by a sandbox routine.

15. Marcos

The crash might have been caused by an outdated NCI driver or interference with another application.

In cases like this, we strongly recommend creating a memory dump per these instructions and conveying it to ESET for detailed analysis which will help determine the cause of the crash.

16. Traduk

Traduk Registered Member

The program did not crash the OS. It locked during the OS boot process and sat at the scroll bar that precedes the welcome screen.

I had to power off to get the machine to do anything (constitutes a manually implemented crash in my estimation) and then for the first time ever was presented with multiple choices as to how to restart which was accomplished with "last known good configuration". I was at the point where I fully expected to have to use an image, prepared immediately before the upgrade attempt to recover the "C" drive but it was not needed.

Fortunately XP is more robust than the Win2000 that Version 3 mangled (the MBR) during an upgrade attempt in November 2007. I still have the e-mail exchanges, with Eset from Nov 2007 which led nowhere. It is also no coincidence that since that time I have beefed up image disaster recovery on all my machines.

For me the upgrade caused system failure on a different machine and OS than the 2007 problems. If I did not have several months left on the licences and the ability to revert to 2.7 I would be looking for a replacement now.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

One off topic post removed.

18. prasid

prasid Registered Member

At our office we run DOS based program in Win98.
    Our license will expire at 2010. Then we can renew our licenses?
    We have 20 pc.

19. volvic

volvic Registered Member

Interesting, why are they still running / offering 2.7?

Will Eset come out and say why so?

20. volvic

volvic Registered Member

Please elaborate in a factual way rather than bold statements all puff and no detail.

21. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

One thing to keep in mind is that some of ESET's customers have older computers which do not meet the system requirements for newer versions of ESET's software. Those people can run NOD32 v2.70.39 and still be protected against threats.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

22. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The press release for ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0 can be found here on ESET's web site, and the presse release for v4 can be found here. They both outline major changes in functionality to ESET's software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

23. prasid

prasid Registered Member

At our office PC's we use Windows98. ANd basically DOS based program!!
    After one year our license (2010) of v2.7 license will expire. After that we can renew for v2.7?
    This is my main issue!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.