Any problems writing very large images to HD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by anon, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anon

anon Guest

I have been using TI 8 build 889 successfully for about a month. I am getting a new 200 gig internal HD next week and want to implement good backup procedures to that new hard drive.

I am using XP Home Edition, with SP2. I have C, D, and E partitions on an existing 160 gig drive, and will install the 200 gig drive as F. All images will be written to F. All file systems are NTFS. All drives are IDE. I don't anticipate using external drives or DVD/CD for imaging.

Thus far, none of my images have been larger than 18 gigs.

However, I anticipate that within a year, I will likely have 60 or 80 gigs on D and E and will want to backup those large partitions separately to F.

Are very large images more problematic in any sense than images of say 20 gigs?? Do any of you have personal experience using TI to restore large images to an internal HD??

For the record, I will also be backing up data through backup programs and drag/drop, because I refuse to rely on images alone.

Any comments appreciated.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Personally, I'd split images at a size that you have confidence in. You have had no problem with images of 18GB, so I'd probably split future images at 10GB just to be on the safe side.

Your system seems to handle large images without a problem, but use the Check Image periodically to confirm that you are not having any problems.

3. anon

anon Guest

John:

I'm not particularly confident in any image, regardless of size. Are you implying that some systems have problems with larger images? Is there any evidence of that out there? And I am wondering if splitting might create as many problems as it might solve.

Likewise, from what I have read on this forum and elsewhere, one shouldn't rely on image verification as necessarily indicating an image can be successfully restored.

I would just like to know if anyone has had any issues that can presumably be attributed to image size. For all I know, 100 gig images are no more prone to problems than 3 gig images.

If it matters, I am not using Secure Zone or incrementals. Just one full image every week or so.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you read some of the threads on this forum, you will find many examples of problems with large files, usually greater than 1GB, on many systems. Most often, the problem is seen with external USB drives, but it can also occur with internal drives. Some Asus motherboards have this problem.

Splitting often is a work-around to solve the problem. I've never seen problems introduced by splitting a TI image on a hard drive.

When I've been able to verify an image and explore it, it has always restored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.