Any Indispensable BlackBerry Apps?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cruise, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I had my AT&T BB Bold for 2 years and I'm somewhat embarrased to say that I just got around to adding a data plan. :oops:

So if there are any BB users around here, please recommend your favorite BB apps, and whether they are free or paid.

Cruise

2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Hi Cruise,

The last BB that I had was the Curve. I've since moved on to the iPhone (but I must admit that I miss the BB's 'real' keypad)! :'(

However, in case you are not aware of the website, do checkout BlackBerry App World where you will find info on just about every BB app along with user ratings!

TS

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Oh yeah I can give some suggestions.

Evernote: Best note taking app I have ever found. It cloud syncs between phone, pc, tablets, ect. Its great I use it a lot.

Fighting Words: Since Blackberry does not have Words with Friends this is the best alternative to the game and its enjoyable.

PicMix: Best Blackberry alternative to Instagram I have tested.

Dropbox: If you use DropBox on your machine the Dropbox app is a must.

WeatherBug: Although the Weather Channel app is decent for Blackberry I must say the free push notifications from Weatherbug surpass the weather channels app.

4. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Thanks guys - that seems to be a good start. Btw, I should have mentioned in my original post that I'm not interested in games. ;)

Cruise

5. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

As said before, Blackberry App World is the best place to get get apps, paid and free. There are 15 or 16 different categories of apps, though there aren't nearly as many available as there are for Android or iPhone. If you're into sports, I'd recommend Score Mobile, which is free. You get scores & updates, as well as schedules for pretty much every major league, in just about any sport you can think of. Highly configurable too. For weather, I prefer BeWeather. I have the paid version, I think there might also be a free one, but don't quote me on that.

6. Cimmerian

One other thing I'd recommend, if you're going to be browsing the internet, would be installing the Opera Mini browser. It uses Opera's servers to compress webpages before they get to you. It's way faster, and uses a lot less data than the native BB browser. I'm pretty sure you can get it on App World, if not use the BB browser, and go to m.opera.com

7. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Thanks for those tips Cimmerian (and I am a sports fan). :thumb:

8. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Cimmerian,

I see that there are two Opera Mini browser versions available for the BlackBerry. Which one should I d/l for my Bold 9700? o_O

Cruise

9. Cimmerian

You'll want Opera Mini 7.1, it's the latest version.

10. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Thanks Cimmerian. I have one more (noob) question... As I am rather limited on my included mobile data minutes, I'm downloading these apps to my laptop. How do you suggest I get them onto my BB Bold and how do I install them? :doubt:

Cruise

11. Cimmerian

You can use Blackberry Desktop to install apps, you'll have to download & install it to your laptop, then once it's installed sync your BB, and follow the instructions to install any apps. You have to use the Application Manager to do so.
    Another method you might want to consider is hooking your BB up to your wireless network, and download the apps directly to your BB. Wi-Fi uses no data against your plan, so it would cost you nothing. That's my preferred method.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.