Any Better Alternatives Than RoboForm?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Show me where I attacked LastPass, what the LastGas and the thumbs down? Get real and this deserves your lashing out at me?

Well you certainly seemed to have made it personal against me...

And where did I spread FUD?

No see you're the one turning it all around and putting some sort of blame on me somewhere for something.

Also you don't seem to see the stupidity in your questioning to me?

This is like saying prove to us that Linux is more secure then Windows or vice versa...

Why don't you stop and think what you are asking and PAY ATTENTION next time.

I SIMPLY do not like putting my trust in Cloud based technology and so do you have a problem with that?

NOW as I said before nothing is perfect and you even agreed to that, so that is all you need to KNOW! Because the TRUTH is no one can PROVE anything until, well it's been PROVEN! ;)

So until someone has found a hole or cracked what you are asking does not exist and that is why I've been saying you've been belittling our intelligence over the matter because anyone with enough computing experience understand this.

We all know of imperfections and bugs and until we reach that point of proof it's all theory.

So KNOCK off needing the explanations, SURF and go see if there are any and then you should apologize to me, because you have been attacking me all along and I've never done this towards you!

2. guest

guest Guest

As I see this all, you were the one who started taking it personally, there was a time where I was analyzing some of your points and classified them as they deserved because they simply didn't apply to LastPass, which is the subject of this dicussion after all.

You have no reasons to not trust on LastPass, their service is very secure. I understand that you may have suspections/suspicions against online stuff in general, but I don't understand why this should necessarily apply to LastPass. That's why I called it a "dumb suspection".

I'm sorry if I offended you, but I never wished to attack you in any way. I just attacked your suspection, but I'm now realizing that you probably think it is a part of your personality or something deeper than it really should have be. :thumbd: :thumbd:

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok cool apology accepted, no I just stand up and speak out as a Geek so that others, more the newbies don't get bashed on next time. I stand up for the underdog, because as a Unix/Linux geek I've seen to many geek bashings in my time that appear subtle but end up being cruel and boil into bigger....

Anyhow good, now that we are FINALLY off that, sheesh I think I need a beer....

So back to all this can of worms, the truth is that no one will argue about software being perfect, that's why we have the term called, 'Bugs'.

So for some things I don't take a chance and neither do others. After all why put your neck out there if you don't have to...

Ok so the objective points you wanted from me, that I was getting bent over that you didn't seem to understand was that there can be no real objections unless someone finds something. Now have I found anything, no I haven't gone looking to see, I'm just coming from the better to be safe then sorry approach to the FACT as I said before that nothing is 100%.

So only time will tell for your objectivity and that's realistic for today's answer.

OK let's move on and find some more apps PLEASE

THANKS

P.S. Sorry too SirPeter if I was getting harsh....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  4. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Not sure if this is a question, or supposition denoted by a question mark, but to answer: If you use KeeFox with KeePass, then it will remember the sites (make an entry into your KeePass database file) the first time you enter your user name and password for a site. (Is that what you mean by bookmark?) After that the auto-fill function should work automatically for that site. It can also auto-fill based on existing database entries.

Without KeeFox, you can still hit a hotkey to trigger a generic auto-fill i.e. send user name, send {TAB}, send password, send {ENTER}. You can modify that sequence per site/entry if you wish of course (for example I forgo the {ENTER} at the end so that it just fills in the user names and passwords, but does not auto-login). KeePass also has an option for "Two-Channel Auto-Type Obfuscation" to combat keyloggers, but I have it turned off since I use KeyScrambler (I suspect they might overlap otherwise).

In terms of the development status of KeeFox and KeeForm plugins, I haven't had any problems with them post-install with Firefox and the standard (non-portable) version of KeePass 2. The installations themselves were a bit of a PITA: I needed to also install some other helper plugins (MozRepl and maybe 'Hostname in Titlebar') so that KeePass/KeeFox/KeeForm are able to match sites to database entries correctly. Obviously it's not that complicated; you just follow the installation instructions on each plugin's site, but there's no one clean installer that gives you the whole KeePass+extras Ba-boom.

About KeeForm (since I've neglected to explain its role), I believe it performs the auto-fill function when you click a url-link from your KeePass database. Not sure if I really even need it with KeeFox installed, but I had it installed before I found out about KeeFox and then I installed the latter on top of the former, and now I don't want to change anything since the whole thing works without problems.

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Glad to have you aboard, DasFox.

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well, since I need things on the business side I need to stay clear of development software, granted as a geek I can deal with it, but it's best to steer clear to avoid problems...

Anyhow all I can see for now is that just with KeePass I'll need to have bookmarks in the browser, whichever that is, actually I'm playing with Opera 10 at the moment, then click the site I want to go to, then Ctrl Alt A then click and have it fill and log me in, that's all I can see for now, would that be about it with KeePass without using any plugins?

THANKS

7. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

again..has anybody tried "keypass' by dobysoft?

8. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I don't think you'll need bookmarks in the browser. You just need an entry in your keepass database like the one in the sample pic. almost any hotkey will do (I use F11), although some key combinations are reserved or don't work for some reason. Also, the cursor should be in the user name field when you hit the hotkey though, otherwise it may auto-type it into the wrong field.

note: I'm not sure if the hotkey will work with Opera. I often have trouble with it when using IronPortable, although with Firefox it works without problems. I think it may have trouble matching the website with the correct database entry unless you have something like Firefox's 'Hostname in Titlebar' add-on for your browser of choice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  9. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Download the trial and try it. ;)

http://www.dobysoft.com/products/keypass/download.html

Well KeePass is turning out to be rubbish, won't even log me into Wilders, keeps putting my password in the User Name field... :(

And then in IE8 if I'm on Wilders to log in and hit Ctrl, Alt A it takes me to my home page which is Google and starts typing my password in the search field, LOL...

I'm about ready to dump this...

10. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Yeah, I can only recommend KeePass with Firefox and the aforementioned extras (KeeFox, KeeForm + MozRepl and Hostname in Titlebar).

In my experience, without those extras, or with other browsers, the auto-type function works reliably only when initiated from the KeePass gui (i.e. right-click the entry for the site and choose 'Perform Auto-type' - that's how I log in to Wilders when using IronPortable, for example).

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok someone said that for Ctrl Alt A you have to click first the User Name field then when you use those key shortcuts it works...

By the way is one version better then the other to use 1.18 or 2.13?

It just looks like the only difference is 2.13 has more advanced options...

THANKS

12. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Last I checked KeePass 2.x offers a bit more functionality, but requires Microsoft's .NET framework (KeePass 1.x does not). Also some of the KeePass plugins are only available for one version but not the other. In particular, KeeFox requires version 2.x.

13. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

@DasFox

I'm a fairly new user to KeePass and the hot keys don't seem to work for me. However, simply high lighting for example - the "wilders" entry in my keepass window, right click and select "auto type" fills in my username and password just fine and that works for me. In fact, i have one site that requires a "username, account number and pin number". I entered my account # in "notes" and created the following sequence which works great! - {USERNAME}{TAB}{NOTES}{TAB}{PASSWORD} I always leave out the {ENTER} as i like to double check everything is accurate before logging in.

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Looking over the two, not sure I really need the extra functions. Plus in the 1x version I like when you do Ctrl Alt A and you have several entries to choose from, just a single click on one and it autofills for it, whereas in the 2x when I did Ctrl Alt A and got the popup to choose from I had to double click it and I didn't see any options to change it to a single click, unless the option is there somewhere, I didn't notice it...

I tried right clicking in the main window on the entry for autofill and then my browser went back to Google my home page and typed my password into the search window, LOL...

Seems like I have to always click first in the User filed then Ctrl Alt A and it works...

I wish they could simplify this thing a bit so there was less clicking and user input, just click your site and login....

15. epsir19

epsir19 Registered Member

16. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Welcome and careful Epsir, you're addressing one :D demanding customer.

17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Tobacco make sure you have the cursor flashing in the Username windows before you try to do Ctrl Alt A.

Some sites already place the cursor there, but here at Wilders as example you have to move out the 'Username' and click the box then hold down Ctrl Alt A.

Hope that helps...

LOL, actually I'm now using KeePass and enjoying it... ;)

18. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Enjoying it? :D Refreshing ;) for a change.

19. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

20. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Duh! Don't know how i missed checking that :blink:

Thanks!

21. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I agree:thumb:

22. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I've tried most of these mentioned and always end up going back to Roboform Pro.

23. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yepper :D

Cool got it now?

I ended up finding a few bugs in RoboForm so I submitted a bunch of tickets then I called them a few times on the phone.

Let me tell you talk about a bunch of incompetent people and I don't mean like one. I literally had like 5 people in that company bumbling around with me...

Because of such a massive amount of incompetence I ran across in that company I'll never bother with them. :thumbd:

24. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Can you share what bugs you found DasFox?.I use roboform pro and havent noticed any problems with it.If there are any bugs that may be potentially problematic or serious ,then it would be nice to have the information.
    thanks
    ellison

25. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Roboform:

There are two things which are drastically wrong with Roboform.

1. Very, very bad support.
    2. It has security risk that the "Options" can be changed even when locked. This is the only Password Program that I know which has this serious flaw in it.
    3. It cannot be used for Windows Programs, such as Quicken and so forth. However, the beta version has this facility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.