AnVir.exe flagged as malware?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by beethoven, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I just did a scan with A2 and got an alert that AnVir.exe is considered to be Backdoor.Win32.Hupigon.qqby!A2.

As this is the official exe of AnVir Task Manager I assumed it to be a FP. I went to Jotti to upload the file and was surprised to see 8 other AV flag the same file. Disregarding some of the more "sensitive" programs, this includes Kaspersky and AVG.

Virustotal shows 12 out of 40 alerting - what gives?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

If you downloaded AnVir from official site, then it's a false positive. I am using AnVir Task Manager Pro myself, and KIS has never identified it as malware here.

Probably best if you start mailing the vendors that detect it. You don't want flagging of legit product to spread too far and wide.

4. Kessler

Kessler Registered Member

I got the same thing with Antivir. Same signature too and mine is a legit version that's been installed for over a year. Definitely a false positive.

5. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I submitted the file to Avira and they responded that the file is clean. Holding Avira in high regards and given that similar to Kessler my file is from a legal source and in operation for almost a year, I also think this is most likely a FP. I still find it strange though not just one or two but so many AV seem to disagree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.