antivirus tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sofasofe, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

The heuristic of KAV is really bad, no as NAV, but bad.
    The latest viruses, what of those KAV detect proactively with the heuristic?, I know only one: Win32/Alanis.A
    I've P2P samples that only NOD with AH and McAfee detect via heuristic.

2. sofasofe

sofasofe Guest

All talking about Mcafee, KAV and NOD but we should put there and F-secure 2004 same as Panda 2004
    I personaly think these 2 programs are better than KAV nad Mcafee
    Many times I installed PANDA av on infected PC and it deleted all viruses which Norton and KAV failed.

Im currently testing NOD antivirus ;)

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Panda doesn't do as well in professional tests, which I trust more. And I'd rather have an AV that has a large database than one with decent heuristics. Heuristics are imperfect and can't be relied on. If you get very frequent updates like KAV has, you'll detect more viruses than with NOD - despite the heuristics. And sir_carew must admit, others have found KAV's heuristics to be better than he says.

I just tested NOD32 at that webpage mentioned at dslreports - and got infected. Norton and KAV both detect it. NOD32 is promising, but that confirmed that I'm definitely not buying yet.

4. sir_carew

NAV heuristic is very bad, it's impossible that NAV heuristic are better than nod, VERY impossible.
    KAV heuristic isn't better than NOD, please give 4 recent viruses that KAV catch and NOD not. NOD catched Logpole.a/b; Swen; Sober, and Mimail that KAV not.
    Panda is a good av, however I install it and I went in safe mode to restore my pc to work perfect, it slow-down my pc, damage my windows, etc. carefully with this av.
    F-Secure use 3 engines, kav, f-prot and other, however the availabilitie of kav update for f-secure aren't the same that for KAV.

5. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

If you look at overall viruses, there are plenty that KAV catches that NOD32 doesn't. I'm not talking about heuristics. I'd say that NOD32's heuristics are better, but that doesn't mean much to me. Heuristics are still not very advanced. I do agree that NAV's heuristics aren't good. I was talking about a website exploit that NOD32 completely missed.

6. sir_carew

Yes, NOD misse some exploits.
    KAV detect more old viruses than NOD, 100 % agree. But old viruses aren't important, I segure that nod cath more new viruses than KAV thanks to its heuristic.

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'd say that KAV gets the viruses in time enough for me. The larger database of KAV has many recent viruses.

8. sir_carew

I know that KAV have new viruses too, but NOD detect many new unyet clasified viruses, in special p2p, mass mailing, encrypted than KAV with heuristic isn't able.
    All days appear new p2p, mass mailing... worms that NOD detect without update, and kav need update, for this I think that NOD detect more new viruses, and for this I think that the heuristic is very important point in a AV.

9. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

IMO NOD32 could be a good backup AV for me - if I save a lot of money up. And in the future, as it adds more trojans and exploits, it might be a fantastic resident AV.

10. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

As I said, NOD32 doesn't detect enough new viruses for me to use it over KAV. I don't even use Outlook much for mail. Or P2P much. And you could get caught with just a slightly older P2P worm that goes undetected by NOD32.

11. sir_carew

Hi,
    Don't use Outlook, OE, instead use The Bat, the mail of Opera, or others.
    Can you send me those old p2p samples?, if yes, send me a private message.

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I don't have any - I'm saying that KAV's database allows it to detect quite a few that NOD32 can't. NOD32 is attempting to catch up and it gets credit for that. I guess we just have different wants in an AV. I like having a lot of viruses in the database and get worried when an AV doesn't detect a website exploit (that exploit stops your AV scanner when it gets to it. Used GoBack to get it off.) And you like the fact that NOD32 can find some new things. I hope that NOD32 gets so it can satisfy us both.

13. sir_carew

Yes, the AV matter are many relative.
    The only think that I believe that nothing can't said nothing different, is that the heuristic of NAV is toy, a joke :D
    Think that NOD is a relative "new" antivirus comparing to others like mcafee, kav, nav...

14. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I agree - I've seen NOD32's regular heuristics detect a couple things that I downloaded for testing. Well, I have to go to bed. Nice talking to you. :)

15. sir_carew

>Nice talking to you
    You're welcome, I think the same, do you have MSN or ICQ for speak about the security pc matter?
    Thanks.

16. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

No, I don't have those chat vehicles, but give me a PM anytime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.