AntiVirus Pgms - Command line Scheduling ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JosephB, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Which AntiVirus Programs (Avast, AVG, NAV, etc.) use the XP or Vista - Task Scheduler for their scheduled scans and scheduled updates ?

- OR -

at least provide a command line interface with siwtches for their scan and update job scheduling, so that one can use the XP Task Scheduler to run the AV Scans and Updates ?

... I prefer using one central scheduler for scheduling everthing on the PC rather than going into eah pgm's own unique job scheduler.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

JosephB, although I use AVG's UI to update and scan, this Create a scheduled task to run the AVG Free 8 Updater article seems to imply that updating can be done via the Task Scheduler. You should be the judge of that.

It could be more difficult to a schedule a scan via the Task Scheduler because 2 processes are involved in the scanning: avgscanx.exe (AVG Scanner) and avgrsx.exe (AVG Resident Shield), as seen in the Windows Task Manager, when scanning the whole computer. Perhaps someone who uses the Task Scheduler to perform updating and scanning of AVG will post soon.

3. risl

risl Registered Member

Dr.Web uses the windows schedulers.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Avira provides a very easy method. All you need is an hklm/run entry, or a batch file or vbs, or really whatever trigger you want. I always disable my scheduler service, and actually I always disable windows task schedule service as well. I wrote a compiled script that starts the avira updater on bootup via hklm/run, and it checks on specific day. You use preupd.exe to start it.

Sul.

5. JosephB

Actually, my preference is to use Avira.

I prefer to use a batch file which I could then add to XP's task scheduler.

.. So, can you show a syntax example of the command line syntax to enter into a batch file (.cmd or .bat) file for Avira Updater ?

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

All you need is \path\preupd.exe. This spawns the updater.

Sul.

7. JosephB

Sully,

Thanks for info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.