Antivirus/Firewall for Servers

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cubanresourceful, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubanresourceful

cubanresourceful Registered Member

I would like to know what applications are out there for servers and what should be utilized in such case?

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

most AV vendors have enterprise solution this including workstation,server,gateway,etc.

3. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

As for the firewall

IMO you should not run any other firewall product for a server than Windows Firewall built in Windows OS

4. m0unds

m0unds Guest

^ this is good advice. it's more-than-adequate and it should help keep you from running into any surprises or needing to click prompts nearly as often as some third party solutions.

as far as AV goes-- and i'm not sure what environment you're talking about, but if it's a home server running windows, VIPRE will install on all versions of windows server without nagging. it's easily 1/10th the cost of most "enterprise-grade" av products, albeit without any of the management consoles and other big features that lots of server users would want.

if it's a linux server, there are paid enterprise-grade solutions and there are ways to adapt clamav to scan mail attachments or file shares or whatever on a schedule.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I believe the last version of Rising Free av ran on Windows Server 2008. I am not sure if this current does or not.

6. bradtech

bradtech Registered Member

Stick with the windows firewall built into the server OS like others stated. I suggest you get a mock server, and try out what works best for your environment. You never know how things are going to go until you start mixing it into your Servers, and Workstations. I found so many problems for ESET, and reported them during testing that got fixed. What works great for me may be a nightmare for you..

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    With servers...and ANY brand antivirus software, make sure you do your home work and set all the proper real time file protection exclusions and disable scanning of certain file types. Else you will have..at the least..huge performance issues...and commonly corruption of certain important file types......lockups and problems.
    You cannot do a default install like you would with a workstation.
    Many active directory folders, infrastructure directories, and of course..database and shared program folders.

I never do 3rd party software firewall products on any of my clients servers...they're behind hardware firewalls. And with Windows Servers...except for 2008 Server, you cannot use the Windows firewalls on 2003 or earlier unless you're running multi-homed...the service won't start with 1x NIC.

8. buddee

buddee Registered Member

Eset Businuess Edition can be installed on workstation and servers

9. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Is the Server OS being used as a Server, or are you just running it as a desktop OS? We really have to know this to give an answer.

10. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

If you are looking for an AV for Windows Server OS than probably you can go with Ikarus Utilities and VIPRE AV ..Both of these AV supports Windows 2003/2008 Servers. Ikarus also supports Windows 2008 R2 edition.

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

12. icr

icr Registered Member

Avast provides AV solutions for servers:)

13. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Pretty much every antivirus brand out there has a product for "servers"..don't really need to go naming them all, it'll be a long post.
    Just choose the brand you prefer...read up on how to install it, and when you install it..follow the configuration of the stuff you should have read up on.

14. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

This might be useful:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/corporate-reviews
    ~ Removed Direct PDF Link as per AV-Comparatives Request - See page above for the actual PDF ~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.