Antivir Security Suite causing BSOD's....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mozz, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

Hello, I'm new here, but I've been lurking around the forum for a long time....
    I hope it's ok to ask a question like this here..... I've asked on the official Antivir Forum as well.....

I have a serious problem with the Avira Security Suite, that I hope maybe someone can help me with... It's causing random BSOD's.. I've both tried the old installer and the new one, same problem... I installed the suite on a freshly formatted system with no other security running.. I don't know what's causing this... So I kind of need some help...

I'm running Windows XP SP 2

Does anyone here have any experience with thiso_O

2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I am running with Win XP SP2 but have no problems like this. Sorry for your trouble but you might try the Avira forum from the Avira Site.

Gary

3. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

Hi,

I've already asked there.. But I'm not so good at computers, so I find this problem quite difficult to deal with... I didn't have this problem running just the antivirus, only the suite...

Thanks anyway....

Does anyone else know what to doo_Oo_O

4. huntnyc

Do these BSODs happen at startup or at other times? What are you doing in your computer when they happen?

What other programs start up with Windows starts?

Are all modules of Suite activated?

Is Windows Firewall turned off?

I don't know exactly what quesitons to ask but maybe some more information would help us with your problem.

Gary

5. huntnyc

Better yet, when you do reformat and have a clean install, buy an imaging program like ShadowProtect and make an image of the fresh install so you can go back to it in minutes instead of having to reformat and take several hours. I am thinkful I began learning this lesson soon after I started using XP.

Gary

6. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

Well they don't happend at startup, they happen quite randomly.. And I haven't noticed anything that makes them happen.. The last one happened while I was using Itunes, and nothing else... Sometimes I can use the computer for 5 or 6 hours before, and other times only 30 minutes...

All Of the modules of the suite are activated, so no problem there... And yes, Windows Firewall is turned off.. I think the program itself does that.. But I did it myself, so that shouldn't cause it either...

7. huntnyc

What level is your Firewall set on, medium or high? Go to the control center and under Firewall tab take a look. Maybe there is a conflict between the Firewall and ITunes but I don't use that program.

You might ry uninstalling ITunes and see if that helps.

Gary

8. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

I set on High, but I can set it on medium if that makes a difference.. It can also happend when Itunes isn't open.

Thanks for the advice on the imaging program.. I'll look into it, because I have already reformatted more than enough times this year...

9. huntnyc

You will not regret imaging program and set Firewall to Medium and if that does not work, uninstall ITunes and maybe problem can be tracked through process of elimination and if others have better advice, I am sure you will hear form them. This is a terrific forum.

Gary

10. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

Yes, I know.. I'm checking here everyday for news and more... I'll try your suggestions right away... Thank you for your help....

11. huntnyc

You are welcome. I hope it will work but please post back because a lot of computer troubleshooting with software can be a lot of trial and unfortunately error.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.