Antivir PE vs AOL AVS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you can edit the job in the tab or create a new task in the tab

2. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

The minimum is every day though. I've tried a ton to edit it and the minimum amount if time between updates is 24 hours.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

can you create a new job?

4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

The AntiVir Firewall is only for the Premium Paid version (after end of current beta) and AVIRA has not Published what the costs will be.

Default minimum Update Interval time is now a minimum of 1440 Minutes+ (or 24 hours+) as users were overloading servers with 'too-frequent' Updates last February.

I would leave the default Interval Schedule job alone and just uncheck it.

You can then create as many new jobs; Update, Daily and set them for different times to suit your needs. Remember that AVIRA usually only puts up new Updates between 06-18 hours GMT; here is a link to past history of times:

AntiVir offers updates for VDF files several times per day, click for latest list.

5. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Back to AOL AVS and Comodo Firewall with no problems. PC speed is fine as well. The Nag Screen finally helped me make my decision. Doesn't mean I won't ever go back to Antivir, but for now I'm happy.

6. duke1959

Just wanted to add. I was reading about the self protection Comodo Firewall has against malware attacks and how important this for all protection software to have. I know AVS has it, but does or will Antivir PE? I read Avast is working on self protection as well.

7. duke1959

Maybe the post in the very beginning of this thread from ggf31416, was enough for some Antivir users to see that AOL AVS was better so they simply didn't post. I'm still on the fence between the two, but ready to jump off on AVS's side unless a few Antivir users can convince me not to.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

antivir is working on self protection if thats what you ment

9. duke1959

Yes and thanks. I will most likely eventually switch back to Antivir, and self protection would be a big factor in doing so. Take care Iodore.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

np duke

11. duke1959

Hey Iodore, thanks again and I want to say that I was just teasing about AVS being better than Antivir, and I honestly believe my PC ran slightly faster with Antivir than it does now with AVS. I was told this was because of the way the two scan in realtime, as Antivir scans files faster than AVS does.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

even with scan new and changed files antivir is still faster when opening programs etc.

hopefully i can get it soon.

13. duke1959

Thanks for verifying that Iodore. Also I'm beginning to think AVS may not have self protection. I saw in a KAS screen shot for set up proceedures, a place to "enable self defense" under the Service, Settings section. I posted about this in Kaspersky's Forum to find out. Antivir is looking better, but I will wait until the release comes out that changes the way the Guard disappears while Antivir is updating before I switch back to it. See ya.

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

It does have selfprotection, i wonder what gave you this idea?

15. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

AVS has self-defense (which I mistakenly called Autoprotection in the 3rd post). The Self-defense is always enabled but the notification is disabled by default
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8235/settingsbw8.png
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8708/notificationsdc2.png

Advanced Process Termination:
    http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/4470/apt308fi6.png
    http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/1908/apt1944ji5.png
    AVS Popup (I deleted the user name)
    http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/343/avswm6.png

16. Wrath

Wrath Registered Member

I've used them all, but I choose Antivir at the end!

17. duke1959

Don see my post right above you to see where I got this idea. ggf31416, thanks I understand from your screen shots, and compared my AVS areas to yours. I'm keeping AVS, but I must admit there is something I liked about about every AV I've ever used, especially Antivir PE. I do however, believe AVS is a better over all AV than Antivir is at this time. Take care.

18. gevin

gevin Registered Member

One note, i think there is no way you can manually update your AVS virus database, like Antivir. Those who pc user which no internet access, but want to AV that can protect them from the attack from other source like flash drive, LAN.

And AVS request you go online to activate the product before you can use it.

19. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I personally prefer to use free software whenever possible, especially open-source programs (ClamWin is not that great yet). I have been testing AntiVir PE and AOL AVS off and on for the last few weeks and have finally come to a conclusion...

While using AOL AVS over the last few days I was quite pleased with the functionality within the GUI as well as all of the details it displays and the way it is organized. Performance, however, was terrible. Yes, the 'scan only new and changes file' option was checked as well as any other options for most efficient performance. But all in all, it made my system feel like it was a few years older then it really is. Downloading large torrents with Azureus had a huge impact on my system with AOL AVS, it would bog it down so much that I couldn't get much else done during that time. Game performance, however, was fine and had no problems at all. Watching full downloaded DVD movies with S-video out to TV had a noticeable drain on the system as well with AOL AVS. All in all, starting any application or switching between applications was just not nearly as snappy as I prefer it to be. Performance was a huge deciding factor here.

For me, AntiVir PE was the winner and will continue to be used on my system for quite some time now. Performance is just absolutely amazing, it is so good that everything is just as snappy as compared to running no AV at all. It would seem as if it were not even there, that is how well it runs. The notifier nag screen is easy to disable. The only issue I have with updates is how it kills full screen activity like games or movies. It has very good configuration options like excluding processes and/or directories and such. It would be nice if they offered their mail scanner with the free PE version. Or if they add the HTTP scanner to it when it is fully developed, but I doubt it will go into the free version. I have not used another AV that performs this well when it comes to real-time scanning. To me, it is all about performance. Like I said, AOL AVS made my system feel old...

20. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I am still waiting for MP1 before deciding. KAS ( AVS ) 6.0 is a very good base for many improvement. And i heard MP1 made scanning speed faster as well.

My only problem for AntiVir is again the pop up. I know it is a solvale problem but i am trying to find a soloution to add schedule job and pop up disappear fully unattended.

21. duke1959

DaveD, that was a very nice and well written summary of your comparisons and opinions on AOL AVS and Antivir PE. The statement about your PC being snappier is well taken and has persuaded me to go ahead and switch back to Antivir. I too felt my PC was quicker in the areas you mentioned. I will add that I realise there are many more important things in life besides choosing an AV, and so I want to thank you for helping me stop my indecisiveness over which one to finally stick with. I will however, before switching ask you just three things. Did you use the Safe Mode, Secret Administrator method I read about here for Windows XP users to block the Notifier? What Firewall do you use? (I decided to stick with Comodo and definitely have not become indecisive about that decision) And finally. What Antispyware Program if any, do you use for RealTime Protection? I was going to use Spyware Terminator, as it is in my opinion fast becoming a very good free AS Program. Thanks again for your post, and I hope to hear back from you.

22. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Seeing how they are both similar in detection rates, it all boiled down to performance for my choice.

I am now using Windows XP Home Edition, so the only option for me to block the notifier was to log into Safe Mode (F:cool:, log out, log back in as Administrator and use the options described in previous threads here to block it. While you are logged into the Administrator account it would be a good idea to password protect it before logging back out. It works like a charm. It is, however, easier if you have Windows 2000 or XP Pro. But this is how it is done with XP Home.

I haven't used any software firewalls for several years now. I used to be a big fan of Sygate, but ever since I bought a router it has made the Internet much more enjoyable without having to worry about deciding which firewall to use, not to mention the time spent configuring them. My recommendation is always to purchase a NAT router with SPI and turn off any UPnP or gaming features you don't need and any other options to configure it as tight as possible. It'll cost you about $40 to $80 depending on your choice, but mine has lasted me 3 years now without any problems. No worries...

I do not use any real-time antispyware programs. I use SpywareBlaster for prevention, and Ad-aware and Spybot for cleanup (if necessary). The most important security measures are to avoid using the highly exploitable Internet Explorer and Outlook Express (use anything other then those) and use strong passwords for anything that requires passwords.

I should also point out that I use TrueCrypt for total partition encryption and for encrypting any CDR's or USB sticks that I put information on. That way I can just throw out CDR's without any worry.

And if you use any P2P programs, always change the ports to non-standard ports that are default within those programs. Default P2P ports are constantly being scanned.

Always do cleanup on PC's with Safe Mode, it makes cleanup much easier without the usual headaches. I do lots of cleanup on other people's PC's and I often use BartPE for that. Or if I am lazy I just run the McAfee Command Line scanner from a USB stick (or CDR) in Safe Mode.

Cheers,
    Dave

23. duke1959

Thank you DaveD. I went ahead and installed Antivir PE, but ran into a problem I had once before with an install of it. My PC ran unusually slow. I don't know if mine is an isolated case this time, but it wasn't before. I uninstalled it and installed AVG Free for the heck of it and all is well. I do clean my PC properly after uninstalling by using RegSeeker, Advanced Disk Cleaner, and search for registry items and left over files and delete what ever is found from prior software. I posted about my small snag with Antivir in their Forum, and will wait and see what is posted back, before trying to install again. I must say AVG Free is running along quite well, and I believe my PC is a tad bit faster now than when I was using AOL AVS. AVG Free has improved since the last AV Comparitives with it's new release, and is also now Level Two Certified in West Coast Labs Testing. I was told that test doesn't mean a whole lot, but nevertheless I like AVG and am thinking of simply keeping it now. I guess time will tell, and thanks again for your help.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  24. DaveD

DaveD Guest

The performance issue could be clashing with the old install of AOL AVS. When you uninstall AOL AVS it leaves running processes behind, apparently Kaspersky did a lousy job with their uninstall program.

Go to Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager
    Click on View - Show hidden devices
    Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers

There are always 2 left behind. I don't have it right now so I am going by memory here. It was like klf and kl... something. Both started with kl though.

Remove those. Right-click, uninstall on both. Restart PC.

25. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Kaspersky hasn't done a worse job with the uninstaller than any other AV (or Fw), they all leave files behind, including your choice, Dave.

An easy way to be sure is to use the remover if you installed in the default c:\ :

1. Download KisKav6Remove.zip .

2. Make a folder called Kav 6.0 on the desktop and unzip KisKavRemove into this,, then uninstall Kaspersky, reboot into safemode and run the tool (doubleclick on "avp_remove.cmd" for the 6.0 tool), reboot. Only works if installed in the default c:\ location with windows!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.