AntiVir PE Premium Systray Icon Disappeared

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DasFox, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. Doctor Watson

Doctor Watson Registered Member

Yes, it does that in the "classic" edition as well. Sometimes the Systray icon is there, sometimes it isn't. It's very annoying, because it forces me to keep an otherwise useless shortcut on my Desktop in order to be able to access AntiVir at all times.
    But I just checked the post on the Avira forum you mention, and it seems to have nothing to do with this problem. Is 32828 the right threadid ?

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

4. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I can confirm this problem - currently running Antivir Premium and noticed a few times that the systray icon does not load at start up. I usually check with task manager and see the process running but don't like having to do that. If I cannot see my trusted icon, I don't feel comfortable.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Depending on the set-up of any given computer, there can sometimes be a "competition" between software programs that are loaded at start-up. Oftentimes, multiple programs will all be competing to load early, & to get their icon into the systray early. This is often the case when someone is running lots of security programs, but other types of programs can sometimes cause this log-jam, as well. When that log-jam happens, certain programs may load & execute just fine, but their icon never makes it to the systray. I had this problem with Comodo FW, for a while.

To resolve this I used Start-Up Delayer (it's free) in order to control the speed and sequence of processes at start-up. I gave high priority to Comodo, & its icon disappearance problem was immediately & permanently solved. Shazam!

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Show icons for networked UPnP devices maybe the culprit. Go to Network places and Hide icons for networked UPnP devices. Other symptoms can be other icons in the notification area not showing up, very slow start up when desktop appears, full egg timer on start button and taskbar for long periods when starting up.

edit: ah, I see that redwolfe_98 posted the same in innerpeace's link.

7. PierreF

PierreF Registered Member

Its must an old bug of Antivir that isnt fixed.
    I think it started with the new version released 2 years ago.
    I have seen it on pc`s with XP several times.

8. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I really like Antivir, but I finally gave up because of that.:doubt: I tried every possible trick they say on the Avira Forum without success.Like Bellgamin explain above it must be a conflict with some other software.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Just restart avgnt.exe from the Avira Program files folder. Very simple. Very easy. No need to get drastic and get rid of the best AV out there over this little thing. ;) Besides, it should be fixed in ver. 8 which is coming in April.

10. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

I too have this problem now and again,I do what Mele20 suggests,however,I first had to end the procees in task manager ,just restarting Avgnt.exe alone did not bring back my tray icon.

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

wasnt this problem 'supposed' to be fixed for v7?

im sure i read on here that v6 had the problem and it was a 'promised fix' for v7.

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I run latest version of Avira premium as my RTM. Its icon never fails to show up in systray. Ditto for my granddaughter's computer. Ditto for the computers at our high school's computer lab. Ergo, the glitch seems NOT to affect all computers. Therefore, I assume it is a non-universal software conflict such as I mentioned in a prior post.

I am NOT saying that Avira folks shouldn't do something about this. I AM saying, however, that it might be worthwhile to give Start-up Delayer a trial at accomplishing an interim fix.

I agree with Mele -- giving up on one of the very best AVs because of a systray issue is equivalent to the proverbial "throwing the baby out with the bath water."

13. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

You may be right Bellgamin, but when you own a licence for "one of the very best AV" available, it seems they should be able to fix a simple problem like that.;)
    Anyway I seized the opportunity to run my system without any AV (protected by HIPS and sandbox) and guess what? My PC is much faster now.:)

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sorry about the URL I changed it in the post.

This has happened after I have been running my system for several hours and icons are already loaded well after a startup as bellgamin suggested with the initial startup with Windows.

I have UPnP disabled as well as the icons on hide, which hasn't helped any.

Not sure if that URL someone posted over at Avira with a fix will work, but I certainly don't want to have to bother with a bug that should be fixed.

This has happened two days in a row now.

When I first installed AntiVir PE Premium it was the only icon running in the task tray, but as soon as I run other applications, like AVG AS, or Malwarebytess Anti-Malware and let them sit in the tray, then AntiVir pops up.

Personally the feeling I'm getting here is it doesn't seem to like sitting with other icons there in the tray. In 20 years of computing I've never seen this on any version of Windows I've ran, or have heard of anyone else experiencing this type of issue.

There is clearly a bug here...

15. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I've never had that problem in XP or Vista. I don't even run avgnt.exe now. It doesn't really do anything except give you a link to open the config util (avconfig.exe) or the AV center (avcenter.exe). I keep a link to avcenter.exe in my Quick Launch in case I need to change anything (you can open the config util from the AV Center).

16. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

If I remember correctly you also use OA2.
    Is there any conflict between your start up program and OA2?
    I ask because I did have a problem another start up program.
    Thanks.
    Hugger

17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

What's OA2?

By the way I noticed this has only happened with AVG AS running and malwarebytes antimal.

If a run program that is not AV/spy/mal related then it doesn't disappear, but it seems to not like having other security apps sitting next to it, LOL.

I guess it doesn't like the company and decides to leave, LOL...

18. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

None here, Avira has been working flawlessley with the rest of my set-up.

19. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Has anyone found a fix for this yet. I too am running OA2 free and am getting this problem on my laptop running XP. I'm fed up of having to kill and restart avgnt all the time! It's annoying as I uninstalled AVG due to it's current trend of needing reboot after every update and now have to put up with this. I might not bother with an AV on my laptop as I did with my PC and kiss these nagging problems goodbye.

20. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

My suggestion would be to get rid of the App. causing the conflict, because the A/V is excellent. I've been running it on the 6 month trial and it works flawlessly. My current set-up is Avira with Comodo V3 firewall. I also have on-demand spyware scanners that I run when I think about it.

21. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Well, just upgraded to the new OA build 85 and all seems to be working now. Cool.:thumb:

I'm sure it's to do with loopback 127.0.0.1. It's now recognised as host in OA free.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.