Antivir "nag" screen

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Drew99GT, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

OK, I don't mean to come across sounding like a horses rear, but I am so sick and tired of people whining about the Antivir nag screen. The product IS FREE and has better detection than most products that cost $40 bucks! Woopty doo; if you can't simply take the 1 milla second it takes to click the nag screen away then spend the money and buy an AV product or go with AVG or Avast and have much lower detection rates. Or get yourself the AOL AVS and whine about the EULA o_O Everything has a cost; it's that simple, and if the cost of free Antivir is a little screen that pops up telling of the latest threats and advertising the premium version, I'll put up with it thank you.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I completely definaly agree with you. your getting a av that does better protection than some payed av's and you still complain. you cant win everything.

stop complaining!!!

lodore

3. Drew99GT

I can't believe that some people won't even try or use the product because of the quote on quote "nag" screen!

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

terible isnt it

5. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Plus the fact the disabling procedure is pretty easy. AND it's just a window that does nothing. Just click okay and move on...99% detection vs about 90% for the other freebies.

6. veri

veri Registered Member

Local security policy is a lovely, lovely thing.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yup and avg is worse than 90percent both free and payed.

8. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

uhmm, do a search through the forums, out you will see over five threads that contain the way to disable the screen, which isn't bad at all. It is only bad if you game, but since it is so easily disabled, please do not complain. You are getting one of the best avs out there for free, and it only requires under five minutes of work to get rid of it.

Alphalutra1

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I got one of those free PC promotions back in 1999 and you had to suffer with an ad display bar on the browser in order to use the PC. It slowed down surfing speed, but at least the machine was completely free. Thank goodness, the program went belly up in about 1/2 year and then I got rid of the bar completely! :D :D :thumb: I also use Antivir on another machine and the pop up window is only a mere annoyance. The ad window screen is completely white for nearly a minute before anything shows up so I can close it very quickly.

10. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I like Antivir better than Avast and AVG Free. It is light, has better detection, and will only improve.( I read where the Guard won't dissapear anymore to help speed the update process in a later release) All I really want is a compromise from Avira. Have it so the, I'll call it a Notifier Window to be nice, will go away on it's own after say 30 seconds. This is really the time I believe it takes for the update to take place anyway, and I can certainly read the contents of the page by then. The reason I say this is partly because I'm anal, but mostly because there's no reason in my mind to see this Window an hour or so after an update took place if your just then getting on your PC. I know this won't happen because then people would simply have it update while they're not on the PC, but I bet if they did even the Antivir users who don't mind the Window would do it that way too. LOL.

11. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Another obvious way to "disable" notifier is to just pay and buy Antivir Premium. I mean, it's pretty cheap, it has spyware detection and it's the same great product. If you're gonna pay for something I'd pick Antivir.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It is still true that, "You couldn't please some folks if you hung 'em with a new rope.":D :D

Best,
    Jerry

13. duke1959

Maybe the reason I don't like the nag screen is because I've been married for 27 years come November. LOL. I would agree though, that the paid version is well worth the price, and I would certainly be interested in it once my financial situation straightens out a bit.

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Bingo! Amen brother! Absolutely! You are preaching to the choir! :D And all those other phrases indicating total agreement....:D :D

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Congratulations, November is our anniversary also.

Best,
    Jerry

16. Drew99GT

And what if some day there ends up being some super outbreak of a virus so bad, so despicable that it will steal everything off your computer, steal your girlfriend, steal your car, and make a sandwich in your kitchen while spitting on your floor - and Antivir has a signature for it and has a whole new interface for the nag screen to warn you of it and say that Antivir will stop it? Well, I want to know!!!

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder how people are behaving after recent AV tests.
    I don,t like the nag screen as it is a bad bussiness trick to me.
    If u like, u know ur business better.

18. Drew99GT

How is it a bad business trick? Mcafee shield used to pop up at me ALL THE TIME to offer upgrades to my product, buy this and that, bla bla bla. And they used to (I say used to cause I blocked them) email me every other day with the same crud. THAT is what I call a bad business practice.

AOL AVS gives your email to "partners". THAT is what I call a bad busniess practice.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I never said them with good practices as well.
    U can disagree but it,s my opinion.

20. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I over came that by signing up for AOL free email account and got my copy through their own email service. Not my comcast account. Spam away. Hehehe:D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  21. duke1959

JerryM, congratulations to you and yours as well. Drew99GT. I don't know who the AOL AVS partners are, but my wife gets much more junk and spam E-Mail then me as a result of the different sites she looks at. (Nothing nasty I hope after 27 years. LOL) As a matter of fact, other than an ocassional Amazon.com E-mail because I once purchased a few things through them, I don't get any junk or spam E-mail with AVS installed. Doesn't mean I won't, but as much as I see the value in Antivir Premium and would be interested in it. The use of AVS which is more or less a free version of KAV, makes me even more interested in the paid version of that Software because of how well the freeware version works, and especially since it doesn't make me hit ok with every simple update. I would change my mind however, if Antivir ever had an update that would make my wife let me have a girlfriend. LOL.

22. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Some people are never happy.

23. duke1959

Hey the Tester, are you referring to my wife? LOL. I must say the problem I really have is I liked something about all the Free AV's I've tried. With Avast it was the Web Shield and the way it updated. With AVG it was believe it or not the GUI, and with Antivir it was of course the high detection rate. Maybe your right though, because there was something about each one I didn't like. Avast's GUI, AVG Free's only one auto update per day, and of course Antivir's Notifier Window. Now with AVS, although it doesn't give me a web shield it still scans files while on the internet, and I think it has become my favorite. Of course there's always the new version of CA Antivirus that's free for a year. LOL.

24. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Wife loves her EZ-Trust, one avnotify PopUp would be worse for me than a virus :( (she uses WinXP-Home, I have XP-Pro).

Question will come next year, after the "two year for $25" runs out, if they want her to pay double to stay with CAo_O AVG might work for her.

25. duke1959

Pilotart, did you read the post on how to disable the Notifier by using Safe Mode and then going into Secret Administrator in the other thread about the Nag Screen? I posted there, and wondered what you might have to say about it in that thread as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.