Antivir Mail Scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ellison64, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Whats with this email scanner?.When theres an internet update (virus defs etc) the mail guard becomes inactive and its "activate" button in the gui becomes greyed out so you cant restart it.Also if you exit antivir for installing another piece of software , then restart antivir ,the mail guard becomes inactive again (no visual or audible warnings by the way).In both cases only a computer reboot , starts mail guard again.I like testing avs , but this has really annoyed me , as it seemed to be a nice low impact av , and the mail scanner is supposed to be one of the main reasons (as well as updating immediatly....which works by the way) to buy the product.
    ellison

2. tosal

tosal Guest

Are you sure you have a valid license? Without a valid license, the mail scanner will be inactive! The license key file is hbedv.key, you can seen the contents of this file in the textual representation lic_info.txt. If both files are missing, you should consider to buy a license here: www.antivir.pe.com.

tosal

3. ellison64

Yes I do have a valid licence ,purchased yesterday as a matter of fact.The mail guard scanner starts at boot up with the normal resident guard and works ( though its a little buggy (known) working with thunderbird).However if an update (defs etc ) is recieved it becomes inactive and greyed out.This is also the case when i exit antivir , and restart it.The mail guard becomes inactive and its "activate" button is greyed out , and only a windows reboot activates it again.Im sure this isnt supposed to happen.Perhaps i d be bettet off redownloading antivir and installing again,and go from there.
    ellison

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Is your AntiVir Mail Security Service (AVMAILC.EXE) set to Manual or Automatic?

When the mailguard becomes inactive, click Start/Run and type services.msc and see whether AntiVirMailService is running and set to 'Automatic'.

You can test the mailguard by sending the Eicar Test File to yourself:

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

You could also try looking in the Setup logfile at C\Program Files\AVPersonalPremium\LOGFILES, to see if it contains an error notification.

Failing that, reinstall, but do be sure to clean out your temp internet and Windows files first. Also be sure to install from a full Administrator account (and not merely a user account with Admin privileges).

Fully uninstalling the old version and rebooting, before reinstalling in safe mode, is also advisable. Do disable your FW and other security progs during reinstallation.

5. ellison64

Ive followed your suggestions Topper , just uninstalled antivir and used agood regcleaner.I deleted all temp files etc , and reinstalled in safe mode , and rebooted.Again everything worked ok i.e mail guard andresident guard loaded (both set to auto start).Mail guard however again became inactive after a def update or after a manual exit and restart of antivir ,with the activate button greyed out.Ive found out that the possible cause of this seems to be look n stop firewall (enhanced rules)which ive been testing for the last week or so.I uninstalled look n stop to determine whether it was the firewall, and now the mail scanner behaves properly and doesnt turn itself off and no more greyed out activate button.I will have to reinstall look n stop and see if i can reproduce the problem and find out exact;y whats causing it.
    ellison

6. ellison64

Just an update...
    Ive reinstalled look n stop and antivir mailguard is now working correctly and i cant reprodue the error.Ive used normal and enhanced ruleset in look n stop but antivir mail guard still be haves properly now.All i can think of i that antivir couldnt install properly with look n stop installed ( although i did install antivir in safe mode on the second occasion).Any way alls working well at the moment .
    ellison

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Just a word about firewalls, AntiVir has two running components that need to communicate with each other through your FW, via the local system at
    127.0.0.1 (localhost) - namely AVGUARD.EXE and AVGNT.EXE.

It is therefore necessary to have your FW in learning mode at first to enable them to connect with each other. Failure to do so may lead to the main Guard icon being greyed out and non-functional.

Possibly something similar could be happening with the Mail-Guard?

8. ellison64

since my last post , when i thought all was well i ve found that it isnt.Since reinstalling look n stop the mail guard doesnt go off, however , the mail guard is not checking emails 9i just checked the mail guard gui).Ive uninstalled look n stop again and mail guard is now checking mails.I already gave antivir permissions for net access.It seems they dont go together nicely on my machine.Ill leave look n stop off for a while and see how things go.
    Thanks for your replies.
    ellison

9. tosal

tosal Guest

Check out if you also allowed the AVEService in the PFW.
    I'm not familiar with LNS, however, it could be that LNS also uses a so called Layered Servicve Provider in order monitor requests. There's a tool available called SPORDER.EXE (ask Google) which should show you if another LSP has been installed. Sometimes these LSP's are incompatible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.