Antivir does it again

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by richo, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richo

richo Registered Member

I've noticed the dreaded notifier window on updating Antivir has returned, as well as a limitation to the automatic updating schedule to once per day. While I understand this is to relieve stress on their servers from what is a "free" product, it is very off putting.
    Overall I like this antivirus program. It's light on my system, causes no problems and has great detection rates. But these little "issues" do make it annoying.
    I would be interested in other people's thoughts.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

On mine I still see the 'Interval' option in scheduling, which let's you schedule an update every xx minutes etc. Just installed it today too, so there's no problem there.

I do notice they started up with the nag ads again though. To get rid of that just change the security properties on 'avnotify.exe' to deny execution. Then you'll never see the nag screen again. This requires that you're running an NTFS file system though, which most people are.

3. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

I installed AntiVir (version 6) middle of January, first PopUp I saw was end of January, clicked [OK] and then saw a 15MB download and thinking it was loading "Premium", I halted it.

This was excellent luck, as that was the infamous Buggy version 7 UpGrade and gave me a chance to install it properly, two weeks later.

Since then, the PopUp has appeared at the end of February and now at the end of March. Block it (avnotify.exe) with your Firewall.

I am on DialUp and have never changed from 1440 minutes, however it always checks for update on each and every dialed connection,
    it usually loads three >40KB updates a day.

4. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

I have created a hashrule, same as I think Kerodo is talking about, to get rid of the nag. Seems to be working.

Ordinary updates did never work for me so I update 4 times a day through Windows Scheduler activating preupd.exe - has worked perfect so far.

Best Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.