AntiVir 7 Premium Open Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Stefan Kurtzhals, Nov 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This version already have the optimize scanning, i.e. only scan changed files, like NOD32, avast! and the new version of Kaspersky?

Thanks

2. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I just ran the updater after installing and got shocked with the attached pic..
    5 MB update, what exactly is this? :rolleyes: :eek:
    does this beta version uses incr. updates as the available version 6? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• up_.jpg
      up_.jpg
      File size:
      22.1 KB
      Views:
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Only first update is this big. All next updates will be as small as only 30-35KB.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Look at the typical download speed of the Classic Servers on dial-up :eek: :eek:: -X

5. AshG

AshG Registered Member

I think I mentioned this earlier, but haven't heard anything back on it...

Every day, I get a notification window telling me that my defs are out of date. Shouldn't there be at least a two day lag, if not three or four, before this message appears?

I have also been unable to find any update options other than internet connectivity. An update scheduler would be a handy item.

6. waters

waters Registered Member

Ive had to uninstall.Updater error .Got the advert for paid antivir each time but erros on update exe.Will wait awhile before i try again.

7. AshG

AshG Registered Member

I've submitted emails to the beta email, but have never gotten back any responses to questions or feedback. Is there a format for emails that should be followed to make things easier on the team?

8. minacross

I found a larger beta setup file on www.free-av.com today so I diwmloaded & installed it and yes it's a new beta ver (KPF confirmed that files have been replaced).
    Memory usage is worse than the first one :( :rolleyes:
    and what exactly is this Schedm.exe? (located at "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\schedm.exe") o_O

Attached Files:

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Schedule Manager

10. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

AshG, there is no special format for the mails. I will check with support, can you PM me your email adress you used to send in the bug reports please?

Miniacross, I talked with the Windows team boss today, this is a bug of the Win9x guard control program. After the fix it will take 10 MB less RAM. ;)

11. minacross

very glad to hear this Stefan :D :D
    many thanx for your efforts :)

12. minacross

any news about date of releasing ver.7 ? :rolleyes: o_O

13. azerty

azerty Guest

There are two distinct installation files. You're obviously using the NT/2k/XP one that is causing trouble. Just download the Win9x/ME one and it should fly.

14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Btw, I think the AntiVir Guard configuration window should be separated from the mainconfig window, just like in v6. Of course the GUI should also be fixed (remember screensize). Also, isn´t there a way to scan multiple files at ones? o_O

15. minacross

release date 1/17/2006 :eek:
    wow :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

16. Stefan Kurtzhals

Rasheed, the two seperate configuration led to lots of confusion in the past, so it is combined now.

Scan multiple files, you mean select multiple files for a profile to scan them? That is not possible with the Classic edition, the same as AV6.

Minacross, did the recent updates fix the memory bug for the Win9x guard yet or do I need to poke some people again? ;-)

Alas, the release was pushed back but as most people are on holiday over xmas, it doesn't make sense to release a major update then.

17. minacross

the problem of the huge memory usage still exists :rolleyes:
    as will as the resizing issue :(

Attached Files:

18. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Does version 7 have just that one process running or 3 like premium 6?.With the 3 process running in 6 (avgctrl.exe=6120 +avesvcm.exe=11528+avmailcm.exe=194:cool: it uses a lot more memory than the 12 meg shown so id be very happy with just 12meg , though i dont see any slowdown on my machine (w98se 256ram)
    ellison

19. Stefan Kurtzhals

ellison64, that avgctrl.exe is only for Windows 98, it is not the actual scanner but just the GUI control element. AV7 for NT/XP has more processes, so it takes more memory. That will be optimized though, for example the OnAccess Guard and the Mail Guard will share the engine & VDF and there will be memory tweaks to the VDF itself aswell.

The fix for the Win98 avgctrl.exe memory bug is being worked on.

20. minacross

thanx Stefan :D

21. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ Stefan

OK that does make sense to me about the GUI, but the thing is, if you want to see info about the Guard you have to now load the whole Control center and it uses a lot more RAM. To be exact, it uses 10 MB RAM and 20 MB of the pagefile.

Also why doesn´t it have the capability to scan multiple files, you need the Premium version for this I guess? Btw, I might have missed this but I assume when downloading new signatures you don´t have to download a whole new version of AntiVir anymore? o_O

22. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I've installed the AntiVir 7 Personal Classic (Beta) last week. And I must say it pleases me really well. Till now I had no problems updating (speeds around 389kb/s every time). And the program also runs very light on my system.

Only thing I noticed is that the (free) classic is only valid till 31-5-2006, and next to it is a link to update to the Premium. Does this mean the free version will dissapair? Hope Stefan can clarify this, but besides of that, great job!

Addition 1:
    After playing around with it some more, I must say the interface is really fitting my needs. The whole thing just feels smooth, and I wouldn't rate it as a beta if I didn't know it was one. And if the Classic one keeps on being free, it's definitly a keeper on my system.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  23. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

You can select "invisable" mode for the updater, if you configure it with the scheduler wizzard.

24. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Does AntiVir 7 have the same problem with older graphic cards drivers as a AntiVir 6?

25. minacross

Stefan,
    the memory usage problem is solved (in a dramatic way ;) ) :D :D
    the resizing one still exists :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    is there any chanse to get it solved? o_O
    thanx in advance :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.