Antispyware recommendations

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mistycat, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

I would appreciate any opinions on antispyware applications. Presently, I am using Spybot S & D and Spywareblaster. Ad-Aware SE (free) was used but has been uninstalled due to an issue with my AV. I have heard many good things about MS Antispyware but, because it's in beta, some say it also causes major problems. I have no problem with shareware programs but have to be able to trial them.Thanks for the help.

2. starlight

starlight Registered Member

I have had Microsoft Beta ever since it came out and have had NO problems. It is very good. I also have Spy Sweeper by Webroot. MSN and Webroot give it free to MSN dialup customers.

3. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Thanks, I think I'll try Counterspy.

4. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Try counterspy. Has a trial period. Also NoAdware

5. dread

dread Registered Member

6. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

starlight i was wondering about running spysweeper with giant?? can u use both sheilds?? thanks or anyone could answer that...MD

7. Stephanos G.

yes u can

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In the Note link you provided....Please do not overlook the part about Noadware being removed.

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

For strong anti-spyware protection I prefer KAV 4.5 + ProcessGuard + RegDefend. They are proactive and protect against the installation of nasties like keyloggers and rootkits.

For "after-the-fact" detection, I have found that CounterSpy will detect rogues that MS AS (I have the Giant licensed version), but not the reverse. So I would recommend CounterSpy.

Rich

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  10. Stephanos G.

Ok, NoAdware gives some false positives, i knew this , that why im careful what to delete. Agree that CounterSpy is much better that MS.
    I am impressed how many antispy/virus/trojan applications are on the market! Is a big industry this! Im curious to know the percentage between applications/'dangerous items':)

11. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

I use the passive measures in Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster w/dak's Custom Block List, and hpHOSTS + eDexter w/JavaDog.

No malware gets through the blockade.

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  12. starlight

starlight Registered Member

Microsoft bought out Giant. The Microsoft Beta is from Giant that Microsoft bought. You can use both Microsoft Antispyware Beta and also Spy Sweeper. I use them both with no problems. Both are excellent.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/dec04/12-16GIANTPR.asp

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,118983,tfg,tfg,00.asp

13. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I believe Microsoft modifed Giant AS and removed logic - e.g. tracking cookie detection. I seem to recollect reading that somewhere and it is certainly consistent with my experiences with Giant before and after MS purchased it. In any case, CounterSpy certainly detects malware that MS doesn't, but I have not found the reverse to be true.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.