antirootkit.com

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SG1, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

At the below link, of detection/prevention programs,

http://www.antirootkit.com/software/index.htm

I wondered: among those here, which if any of apps mentioned there, do you use? And if you have used them, what are your thoughts on the product/s?

The program/s seem to do their stated job (as far as one can tell), and does it weigh heavily on your system resources, and does a given app seem to play well w/other "security kids on the block"?

I'm no great authority on this, but it seems offhand that "the virtual PC" or "sandbox" approach may be the ticket to warding off future internet ills from twits who think it's cute to create mayhem. On the other hand, I'm also very keen on the concept of keeping any/all poachers off our PC to begin with, period! <g>

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I use Appdefend/Regdefend (a.k.a. Ghost Security Suite) I like it because it catches everything that is trying to start on my computer. It warns when software try to hook on to other processes. It warns when registry is accessed in critical areas. Warns about software trying to connect to the net, process modification and more.
    The downside is that you get alot of questions when installing software, not a program for faint hearted :)

I have also tried following software but decided not to use some of them because of overlap with GSS:

Processguard. I used it for a year or so before I bought GSS. Processguard was easier to teach than GSS. Did a good job in its area. I bought GSS because it did basicly the same job + GSS had registry protection.

Cyberhawk. It seemed like a nice program. Not as many popups, easier to use (compared to GSS) It had some good explanations why one should block certain things. I would propably use it if I didnt have GSS.

Geswall. I have it in one of my snapshots. Also a nice program, but I have not put any effort in learning it. I just use it to isolate my webbrowsers in that snapshot.

Defencewall. I just did a quick install of it to see what it was like. It seemed to sandbox programs as promised. I did not have any need for it though.

Rootkit Hook Analyzer. I run it now and then to see if there has appeared new hidden hooks.
    Rootkit revealer. same as above. Hopefully they do show all hidden hooks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.