Anti-Virus/Trojan software

Discussion in 'polls' started by Pretender, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

All are good at the moment. What do you think is in store for the future?

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

If I was psychic I would say there are two that are going to be major influences, that being Gav and a². And both are veritable genuises lol. So I recon these two are pioneers into the future :)

3. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Sorry to be blunt, but who cares what is promising for the future. I think you need one now. Or are you thinking of buying shares?

4. solarpowered candle

thats cool matellica you are not being blunt nor are you being accurate as I for one have a good anti virus and anti trojon on my system and feel comfortable with such .As Im sure Pretender does also ,however I am always interested in whats being developed and see nothing wrong with such .
    As far as are there shares available you will need to ask for yourself as im not aware of any available.

5. Metallica

Metallica Guest

What I was trying to say is: ....... promises.......promises.....
    I have read a lot of posts by the developers you mentioned and I'd like to point out that it takes more then programming abilities to sell a product.
    Let's just hope they don't notice this thread or they will display the exact behaviour that (IMHO) will stop them short in their way to success. :p

6. hendricus

hendricus Registered Member

Some time ago i installed Antivir on my computer. It's a freeware virusscanner, looking reliable and with regular updates. It's a little slow while scanning. Info at:www.free-av.com

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I voted "other" because I think at the moment, AVK is the most promising.

GAV is coming along also, but I feel it needs refining in a couple of areas, particularly resident monitor and interface.

I also feel Avast! is being made better and better, and is aggresively trying to improve their product.

8. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Don't think so. One of the programs you mentioned in your poll is not even finished or independently reviewed yet and another one is always behind the average each test it participates. So how do you consider these programs as good? And I have my doubts if Symantec as well - too many bad experience with their ignorant beheavior but that's a different story.

If you ask me what are the real promising AV programs are 2003: Here's the list of my favourites: KAV 5, NOD32 2 and RAV.

wizard

9. solarpowered candle

I voted other as I like Kav . And think the new Kav 5 will be something worth looking at also.

10. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Dr.Web.
    It keeps getting better.
    I just wonder sometimes if anyone uses it .

Douglas

11. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) Hello Everyone!

Wizard said:
    Not naming names again, I see. When the unfinished is completed it will be time to say, "Yea, how the mighty (and pompous know-alls) have fallen!" It will pass you by and you will be out-of-date.

Regards.

12. Vampirefo

Vampirefo Guest

These are my future picks.

GAV
    Freedom
    Panda

McAfee will Still be my AV, NAV if they add the unpacking engines, will jump up front, at least 5th place.

13. Pretender

It's just a friendly poll Metallica. No one is required to answer and I don't think looking ahead is negative as long as we don't lose sight of where we are right at the moment. I use NAV 2002, AVG free version for back-up, and, also, am trying out the GAV beta. I wouldn't say that any one of them is the best and I really appreciate the opinions of others as that is what polls are all about. Thank you for your opinion...........you're using a great forum board with users that are much smarter as a whole rather than as individuals.

14. SmackDown

SmackDown Guest

How about Norman?

15. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I don't know much about Norman av program.

I like Wizard's choices for promising av programs.
    I'll be watching the progress of GAV also.

16. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I like the idea of their engine using 'sandbox technologie' but so far it was not a big success. In the current stage I would rate Norman 'less than average'.

And just a comment on GAV as well: I like the initiative that Michael put so far into the GAV project but I have still my doubts that GAV as a one man project ever reaches the stage where it can be comparable with commercial products. But we will see. :)

wizard

17. Pretender

I had never heard of Norman. This is an AV/AT program? I got the impression that Michael had a full staff of people helping on the project. Are all of the other staff just working the forums? It would be a difficult project for one person the complete. Kind of wonder how Andreas is coming with a2. The ants project sure disintegrated over time.

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Pretender.
    I know that Norman is tested by VirusBulletin.
    It's an AV program.
    I don't know how well it does for trojan detections though.

19. SmackDown

SmackDown Guest

Norman, is a upcoming AV, it's been out a while, just hasn't done much lately, I just thought, I would throw it's name in the hat, who knows what the future holds.

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I voted GAV. I forecast a Tie between A-square & GAV.

Yes, they're mostly 1-man efforts...

*The reciprocal of 1 is 1.

**The Tiitanic was built by a committee. The ark was built by 1 man. An old saw, yes -- but therrrrre you go. :cool:

21. wizard

wizard Registered Member

No. It is a one man show.

Yes.

Even if he completes his task: An antivirus is never finished because new malware has to be analysed and updated on a daily basis (which doesn't necessarely means that there has to be a daily update as well). So what if Michael gets ill? Or busy with other stuff (e.g. a new job or what ever)? Can you affort to have an antivirus software that is behind with updates?

But anyhow we will see what the future brings. Let's wait untill it's finished and judge than about it. :)

Still waiting for Ants 2.2, 2.5 and 3 for some time now. I'll guess before we see a finished a2 version he already announces a3. :D

wizard

22. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Norman is a well known AV, at least in northern Europe. It scores very good in the VB100 and it's pretty effective as an allround AV/AT tool (wasn't it a decendent of the old Thunderbyte AV?).

I tried Norman for a few weeks, but decided to go for CA Etrust EZ (hint :D ). Biggest disappointment to me was the Norman user interface (lots of icons and the update was not to my liking) and, as you may recall, that's what I judge AV on (I think that others are more qualified on quality scan testing than me).

23. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

My pick would definitely be GAV
    Coming along very nicely.

Absolutely guaranted to be a major front runner in the future.

along with many others, I have been beta testing GAV4 and the GUI is great looking, sleek and very functional. Operating within the one main frame so to speak.

New engine cores are being released constantly for us testing and they just keep getting better. :)

cheers, TAS

24. solarpowered candle

Regarding a² and the long train coming with the Ants version, I after listening on the a² forum have come to an understanding of why such delays have happened. Although some may dislike the guy , I from my vantage point would have to say , that one who suffers from life threating ill health and under goes heavy suffering , yet continues to try to bring in to manifestation , something that may /will be a great offering for others in the realms of malware protection deserves some grace and having been through incredible suffering in my life I know how hard it can be to focus and even concentrate whist one is under going such . If Andreas does manage to complete a² and there is every indication that such will be the case in the next few weeks ,then even if the guy passes away in a year or so , he has accomplished a major achievement that few could do . and some thing that others can continue on with. (just a thought here ) :)

25. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Good post SPC, when I read of Andreas' illness I was shocked, I admire the guy for carrying on as normal, many people could pack it all in and give up,quite understandably too.
    Sure he has scrapped other projects but I think A² is going to happen.

:)
    Kev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.