Anti-virus software suitable for dial-up?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Biscuit, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Yes, there are still people using dial-up! :eek:

Which anti-virus would you recommend for dial-up users? The main requirements would be a small initial signature update after installation, or maybe a signature file available for separate download. Thereafter, small incremental signature downloads.

Paid AV software is fine.

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Free version of Avast! updates once a day. Then it's good to go.

Never had a problem with it updating, on any connection. You can also right-click and perform a signature update anytime. The initial download file contains everything you need for it to operate straight-away, no further updates.

3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I know paid Avast! does push updates. NAV and KAV does the while 'mirco updates' as well.

4. Saraceno

You can just right-click on the avast icon, and you'll see either 'program/database' updates, select one and it updates. Don't have to wait for the once a day update.

Someone who has it running can confirm the exact description of what it's called.

Most of its 80 million users wouldn't even know it was there in the free version. ;)

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I cringe at the free version becaues of the interface! It is just not usable.

6. ypestis

ypestis Guest

I am not sure the Pro interface is any more clear,
    but the default settings are pretty good,and all I really needed was
    to add static picture,music files to the exception list.
    I first used Avast! on a Windows ME machine on NetZero Dialup,back in
    2006,and updates were pretty dependable.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Avast should work.
    I used it on dialup with no problems.

8. Saraceno

I agree the interface is outdated, but I don't mind it as it loads instantly (no delay when you click on the icon).

And the MAC skin by RejZor is slick.

And for those on dial-up, it is easy to stop-start Avast protection services (web scanning for example) to suit browsing speed.

9. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I second this.

Avast! Home Ed. will fit your requirements, Biscuit ;)

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

IME, Dr Web without a doubt. One of its strengths is the very fast updates.

I used this AV for several years when I was restricted to dial-up. The updates are very small with files commonly of only 3-4kB.

11. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

About its only strength :D

on a serious note any AV you can setup to update and a set time you don't have to have it update more then once a day.

12. Saraceno

Dr.Web would be a good one. So I agree with Blackcat.

I rarely see people using Dr.Web complaining about missed infections. Seems to get all the 'real working ones'. ;)

13. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Another vote for Dr. Web. It's updates are tiny and frequent. I never had any problems with updating. I've been using it for two years and no infections.

14. Biscuit

Thanks for all your replies. I have now looked at both Dr Web & Avast. I have seen Avast in use previously & wondered if it was possible to turn off the voice notification? In practical terms, the Avast distribution system for resellers looks good, however the Dr Web reseller distribution system looks very complex & add that to the fact they are from Russia, would tend to make me give it a miss. So Avast it is, assuming that I can turn off the voice prompts?

15. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Voice prompts can be disabled.

There is also a box to check with in the settings if you are on dial-up or constant on(line). I believe the only difference this makes is whether an entry is logged for (failed) updates.

16. Saraceno

Just wondering, what speeds do people get on dial-up?

Used Prevx 3.0 on a fairly limited wireless connection, and it's been very good.

Reseller application here.

For your regular user, I'd say it's the easiest to use/configure and has the best visual notifications when problems are found. Users know exactly what to do with the alerts.

17. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Has been a long time since I have used dial-up.

Keeping in mind dial-up is capped at 56k. (yes that is a lower case "k") I have seen speeds on clients machines vary from 18k to the full 56k. Depending on line condition, location, load, etc.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Strange statement o_O :( :blink: . Some of the best programmers and software come from Russia.

19. Biscuit

Thanks Saraceno

I am already a Prevx reseller, however I don't think it's suitable for a dial-up user who is only occasionally on-line.

20. Biscuit

Sorry Blackcat.

My wife is from Russia & I have spent there. I really wouldn't want to deal with a Russian company. Lovely people, terrible organisations. :(

As a reseller, I would want a route to professionally purchasing the product. I can't sit in a customer's home buying off a web site. :doubt:

21. Biscuit

Excellent, thanks. :cool:

22. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Prevx or NOD32 (smallest updates I've ever seen).

23. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I don't get Prevx as it's based on having a constant network connection. :blink: Other AVs and AMs keep a local database in addition to the cloud-db when you're connected which is often updated daily or even more frequently. TF is one example (what else would come from my mouth? :rolleyes: :D), but I recall Prevx has this for the future, including behavior blocker - maybe Joe can confirm. :)

I would suppose NOD32 has small updates, yes, but I'm not running it often, so I'm not completely sure. Rather that in that case as there's only a much higher risk to get infected with new malware when connected, which is when the user updates his database. Risk is it'll build up in size no matter what software he uses, depending on how often the user is connected.

If it's not been suggested, I guess DW might be a suitable choice.

24. Saraceno

Biscuit, Avast will be releasing a new version soon, which should have a much better interface.

Nod is very light and easy to use as well. Seems popular with those who want minimal interaction (gamers).

25. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Biscuit, if you're using dialup, just get the free Kerio PFW 2.1.5, a good hosts file and and any light AV. Just run Kerio PFW through the www.grc.com test. You're using very, very few data channels. I don't even use an AS/AS with dialup. :D

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.