anti-trojan tests wanted

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Trans, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trans

Trans Registered Member

This is useful reading
    "Hints for determining the credibility of anti-trojan tests"

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=archive&id=sec02

but where are some really good RECENT :D tests
    (that possibly include and antivirus apps like KAV,
    DrWeb......)?

Can anyone help ?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

3. Trans

Trans Registered Member

Thanks Pilli,
    I've seen this before and is somewhat old...
    There are new versions of Trojan Hunter and
    The Cleaner .

The tester's comment for the last one is :
    "however in 2003, The Cleaner's performance deteriorated markedly. We'll be keeping a watching brief on The Cleaner in the coming months and if there is no improvement it will be dropped from our recommended list."

I'm really curious about "The Cleaner 4"s performance
    and TrojanHunter's 3.7 as there were improvements
    over the older versions (or not?)

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Trans, I have to admit a bias to TDS3 which has the largest database of all the current Anti-Trojan programmes, I do not count Pest Patrol because it's database is trying to be all things to all men/women :) Also DCS products support is second to none :)

People say that TDS3 is complicated but a full scan can be achieved in just a few keystrokes, after that it is fun trying all it's various utilities.

TDS4 is just around the corner and will offer three versiona, a set it and forget resident scanner, on demand scanner & TDS4 Pro.

If you buy TDS3 now you will automatically get a TDS4 upgrade for free.

As I said I am biased and I do not work for DCS :D

Sorry I cannot guide you to any other reviews for TH or the Cleaner.

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

IMHO The latest The Cleaner is an improvement for sure - but still needs a serious engine rehaul.

Trojan Hunter is at v3.8 at the moment - and has some issues to deal with as well - mainly in regard to UPX unpacking.

I do wish the developers all the best as for improving their software! :cool:

regards.

paul

6. controler

controler Guest

Hi

Here is a nicely written site which explains everything from how your shinny new XP home addition comes with all the usual file sharing, Plug and Play by default to make home computer easier for the non technicial people, all the way to tests with various hardware firewalls.

TDS, BoClean, Trojan Hunter ect are covered in their Anti-Trojan
    reviews.

I actualy think this is a nice site. I think you will like it :D

http://www.firewallguide.com/anti-trojan.htm

Yes I am trying out trojan Hunter 3.8 and even though it is having problems with unpacking, it is still telling you of all the packed files it sees and from what I can see, besides the false possitives
    on Anti-Keyloggers files in the System 32 DIR, Trojan Hunter is at least alerting you of alot of nasties it doesn't know at ths time are even nasties and it IS detecting the newest Iopus Keylogger.

In the last two years, the home computing world has become much more educated with safe HEX, thanks to all the great forums like this one and we as users out there trying to get the word out as best we can.
    Thank You ALL !!!!!!!!!!

Happy Surfing

con

7. noname3

noname3 Guest

"Trojan Hunter is at v3.8 at the moment - and has some issues to deal with as well - mainly in regard to UPX unpacking."

This is true. Fortunately, Trojan Hunter is one of the few AT scanners which have an additional memory scanner. That's why the UPX 0.84 packed Theef 2 sample mentioned @ Rokop will still be detected by TH.

In fact, most AT scanners do not have a sophisticated unpacking engine. Consequently, they will generally fail to detect compressed malware samples. FYI, this also applies to TDS-3 (i.e., its file scanner fails to identify the above-mentioned Theef sample as well). However, the TDS-3 mem scanner will catch it.

The new AT scanner ewido security suite shows that a generic unpacking engine (emulation) is useful indeed. Its file scanner has no problems to unpack and detect the Theef sample.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.