anti spyware product needed to replace spysweeper

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i need a anti spyware product to replace spysweeper. so i need something with great realtime protection and great scanning.

i have looked at counterspy and ewido.

any thing to report on thoses programs?

or any programs you reccomend?

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ewido 4.0

i was thinking of buying this to replace spysweeper what does everyone think of ewido 4.0?

3. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Re: ewido 4.0

Both are good at what they do. :thumb:

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Re: ewido 4.0

like Eldar said, theyre both good programs. supposed counterspy has some high memory usage tho.

another good antispyware program is superantispyware professional

5. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

why replace spysweeper i think it's good :D

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

you could always try only using firefox with the cookie settings set to allow sites to set cookies from the originating site and to dump them on closing firefox. also adblock/filter.set.G updater. keep spysweeper or download a free version of something for ondemand scanning now and again. Plus sensible surfing.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will ask why u want to replace it. It,s the best, so in my opinion stick to it unless there is some issue.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

there is a problem with it thou

on startup it appears in the middle of the screen and wont close for like 5mins

when it comes up yoiu try clicking on the cross and it wont close till the egg timer goes away. webroot say try reinstalling it and i have done and same thing happperns so i want to replace the real time protection and keep spysweeper as on demand

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

What version of SpySweeper are you using? The 4.0.X series has a bug in the favorite shield and the favorite shield will cause SpySweeper to hang if you have a lot of IE bookmarks. But the latest released version 4.5.9.709 seems to have the favorite shield bug fixed.

And Webroot support has once asked me to just turn on only one shield each time to test which shield cause the hang and freeze. Maybe you can try to enable only shield at a time and see which shield cause your hang.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If you want to replace Spysweeper try SuperAntiSpyware Pro. It is much lighter than Counterspy.

I have used Spysweeper, and currently have Counterspy. Counterspy uses the more memory than any two of my programs.

I have been trialing SuperAntiSpyware Pro for the last few days, and so far like it better than the other two. I am thinking of buying the lifetime license soon.

Best,
    Jerry

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what does people think of ewido 4.0's real time protection (shields)?

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw im using version 4.5 spysweeper

13. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

You may submit a ticket to the Webroot support about your 5 minutes start up problem so that they can improve their product.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

interestingly when I i tryed spysweeper version 5 beta 1 i didnt have the hang but when i went back to 4.5 i do again.

I dont really know how to explain it to webroot.

basicaly it comes up in the middle of the screen which webroot say it shouldnt do webroot have said this in the past.

then i cant close it from the middle of the screen for about 5mins

any ideas of wording it so they know what I mean?

15. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

You may capture a screenshot or to take a video of the problem and attach it in a ticket to technical support. When 4.0 was first released, I also get the 5-10 minutes hang after SpySweeper was loaded, and I captured a video during the hang for their investigation. Sometimes, it is not easy to describe the problem in words, so I use a video to let them know what the problem is. At last, they found out the problem. It is the Favorites shield that caused the hang, since I have so many IE favorites. I am glad that the bug of the Favorites shield no longer exists.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i still have the problem thou so im guessing that if the favourites shield porblem is fixed that that shield is not my problem?

17. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

There is a debug logging function in the 5.0 beta. You can submit a new ticket and ask them for the procedures to log the problem so that they can investigate the issue. I cannot post the procedure here because it maybe against the DNA and the forum rules here. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.